Hey all, When I first setup up my tank I used tap water to fill it. I know I know, I shouldn't have, but its done. I, unfortunately, didn't test the tap water for Phosphates until now. My tap water shows 1PPM phosphate, yet my tank water shows none.
Now as my tank is still cycling, I've left the lights on for a few hours a day,( trying to keep some polyps alive and happy ) and I have started to notice some hair algae ( as well as a lot of diatoms ). I guess thats what it is since its green, long and stringy. I don't have huge amounts, just some starting to grow on a few spots here and there on the rocks, but its becoming noticeable.
Since my tank water shows 0 Phosphates ( I just tested ) would it be safe to say, the algae is due to the lights being on during the cycle?
Or, if it is because of the tap water, should I do a good 50% PWC
now to reduce any trace amounts, IF any, of Phosphates?
I've also been topping off with distilled water. The label on the distilled water bottle says "processed by, UV
, Micron filtration, distillation and ozonation" I assume this is good since I've also tested this water and I get 0 for NO2 NO3
Ammonia and Phosphates.
Oh and before someone else says it. I will have a RO
unit shortly probably from these guys AQUARIUM RO 2DI REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM - eBay (item 350041223141 end time Mar-31-08 09:29:25 PDT)
Today's numbers are:
PH: 8.6 (few days ago it was 8.2