Phosphates and diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have the diatoms in my tank, but it's because my phates Are high.

another question...
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO REDUCE PHOSPHATES?

-Tropical water diver�� and marine lover.����������

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you do about diatoms in a 6 year old tank?
Phosphates are high

-Tropical water diver? and marine lover.?????

What do you do about diatoms in a 6 year old tank?
Phosphates are high

I'm fairly new to this but I'm sure a big water change will lower phosphates. Also if you don't have a protein skimmer maybes should consider one. Also they sell media to reduce phosphates as well. Using ro/di water? Feeding too much? As I said I'm fairly new but thought I'll put little info as nobody answered your question. Hopefully somebody can give you a better answer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm fairly new to this but I'm sure a big water change will lower phosphates. Also if you don't have a protein skimmer maybes should consider one. Also they sell media to reduce phosphates as well. Using ro/di water? Feeding too much? As I said I'm fairly new but thought I'll put little info as nobody answered your question. Hopefully somebody can give you a better answer

Did big water change... No difference
Have a $700 protein skimmer
Have phosphate reduction media
I use RO/DI water
I feed once every three days.

I'm not new to this at all, but I have done everything that I can think of right this second to fix my problem and nothing has helped.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406859207.040431.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406859295.665922.jpg

you tell me... This is aftermath of a clean and scrub down.

Oh and BreaktheCycle2 I have an acrylic and I wouldn't trade it for any glass

New lighting? I've heard diatoms aren't affected my lights but I'm still not entirely convinced they aren't out of the question. Get some flow on the rocks and sand and just wait it out.

I can't screw up my flow because I have tons of corals

I'm not new to this at all, but I have done everything that I can think of right this second to fix my problem and nothing has helped.

Just to start guiding you in the right direction, if you aren't new at saltwater at all then why are you under the belief that diatoms are caused by phosphates? Diatoms feed on silicates, which can be found in our sand and rock but is normally consumed in the early life of a tank, unless there is a large disturbance of the sandbed allowing unconsumed silicates to be exposed and able to be consumed.
As you earlier stated the tank has been set up for 6 years, there is a chance that something disturbing a 6 year old sandbed can cause a diatom bloom...but it can also cause a nutrient spike in the system since all kinds of uneaten food and poop can build up along the rocks and in the sand. This can cause algae, dinos, and cyano blooms...from minor to major. It is much more likely that you are experiencing this. This is even something that occurs 'often' in tanks around this age and goes unaddressed as what is causing it goes unidentified...so much it has been coined 'old tank syndrome'.
As it appears you are using one of the red max tank setups, I'd suggest cleaning out as much of things as you can with the sump, skimmer, sponges...so on. Is the skimmer stock? If so I haven't heard much positive about them and maybe an upgrade to a more quality skimmer would help as well. During your next water change you may want to see if you can siphon out any build up around rocks that you can see along with lightly over the issue you are trying to describe.

Back
Top Bottom