Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Phosphates in a Newly Cycled Tank...Where did it come from??

My 40 Gallon breeder just completed it's cycle with a cocktail shrimp:

Water Parameters are:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 pmm
Nitrate: 10 pmm
pH: 8.2
Specific Gravity: 1.024
Temp: 78 F

I went ahead and tested for Phosphates....just because I had the test available and I was curious.

It came out to be: 0.5ppm

Why? I am using RO/DI water with registers 0 ppm with a TDS meter. I have added nothing to the tank except for the shrimp...which has now dissolved in the tank completly. I have CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer...which has been getting quite a bit of Skimmate despite no livestock in the tank yet. I am using Instant Ocean Sea Salt...which states it has NO PHOSPHATES!

Any idea where it is coming from??

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Could be from the die off during the cycle. Try running a PO4 sponge and see if that fixes you up.
Also test your source water for PO4, I know you ran a TDS test but I would test it anyway.
Also test your salt mix to test their claim.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
The shrimp. Tri-polyphosphates are used commercially in the food industry as a means of keeping seafoods crisp and maintainning an appealing color.

cycle, cycled, led, phosphates, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com