Photo Acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of acclimation will need to be done by upgrading my PC lighting on my reef tank to MH/PC lighting. With my current PC lighting, I have 4.5 WPG. Im moving everything to a bigger tank and adding MH's to the PC's. The bigger tank will be receiving 12.5WPG, with the MH/PC lighting. I know its a big jump, but Im going to be moving up to a bigger tank size again soon, so I decided to go with lights that will not have to be upgraded, everytime I upgrade tank sizes. The tank is a mixed reef, almost two years old. SPS, LPS, soft corals, a bulb anemone, and polyps. Over 30 corals total. 1 yellow tang, and 2 small clowns. I have a chiller and two big fans on the hood, so I dont think heat will be a problem, Plus I've moved to the unbearably cold midwest, and its always freezing in my apartment!

Thanks for any suggestions...
-Mike

YOu should start out with the MH only running for a few hours a day. Lets say 4 hours a day and then over the corse of two months extend the photo period 1 additional hour a week till our up to 10 hours a day of MH lighting.

As far as the freezing part. Make sure you have ample heater capacity in the tank to keep it a nice and toasty 80F when the lights are off.

Thanks for that fishfreek! Im glad I asked about that one. Im starting this tank up tomorrow. About how far above the tank should I hang the lights? As far as the heater goes, I have a 350 watt titanium, micro-computer controlled unit, with LCD display of the actual tank temp. I was told it is the best. ProHeat II I think its called, anyway that should be sufficient I hope! I have been keeping the tank at 77 degrees. I have not seen any fluctuation in that temp, and I was under the impression 80F was a bit warm. Im just repeating what I was told though. Should I raise my tank temp?

Thanks again for all the help!
-Mike

Back
Top Bottom