Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

PIC Is this Dangerous..

I'm trying to get a 20 Gal sump under my 72 gal bow front. I've pulled hte tank out, twisted the sump and tried everything under the sun and I just cant get it in there. The only possible way is to unscrew the back center support on the stand, stuff the sump below then screw it back in. Is this a safe thing to do? Will the tank come crashing down on me or will it be alright for a couple min???

Old 11-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Calvin I had the exact same problem. I don't know however if we have the same stand as I have seen 2 or 3 different ones. Fortunately my tank is empty and can tear down the stand. I would say if thre is a full tank on it...dont do it! If we do have the same stand (Black podium style-more narrow than the tank) it is weak anyway. I will have to reinforce mine before putting it back together. If we do have the same tank a 20g long wont fit anyway with the tapering of the stand toward the sides. If it is a standard 20 it may work. But I would at the very least remove as much water into a trach can or a rubbermaid before i would even think about it. I'm going to reinforce mine when I get my custom acrylic sump in itbefore loading it back up.

Good luck and be careful!

Old 11-02-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One more quick question...

I can't tell from the pic if we have the same stand. I am at work on a shot monitor. Do I see 3 braces on the back? Mine only has the one.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are two reinforced pieces on the back and one in the middle. After looking at the center support, I think in can move it with little problem. It wiggles against the screws. I think I'll drain as much as I can and give it a go.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Draining is probably a good idea, at the very least to move some of the weight. Are you using a 20 standard? let me know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Michel
Try putting a tewmporary brace further down so you have support and enough room to insert the sump as well !
Old 11-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

i agree with michel, and or, i would think it would ok to take it out but drain out as much water as you can. the back cross member will hold more than you think.

you can screw a extra board the same size as the one in the back all the way across to help support it to. i would get a piece of oak or something strong.
150lb live rock
4in DSB
MH light 175watt 10000k x2
4 power heads 660
reefdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Temporarily brace the stand as close to the center that will allow you to remove the center brace, then reinstall the center brace before removing the temporary.

This is a delicate issue as you are doubling the span of the back rail. The more you can support that back rail before removing the main support, the safer it is.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
cj10488

I see a problem with the Tank Right above what looks like a heater vent.. If it is in fact a working Heater vent I would highly suggest moving it..

James
Old 11-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay guys, DONE! Placed a precut 2x4 directly in front of the support I planned on removing. suscrewed the support and it slid right out. Removed the 2x4, placed the sump below and put it back together again. As for the heater vent, How else am I supposted to keep the water at 85 degrees? J/K. The vent is for A/C, which the house doesnt have.

Tags
pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com