Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Picasso v. Coral and The Order of the Fish

Hi all! I am new to the board and have been lurking and learning a lot lately. I've just finished (or think I've finished) the nitrogen cycle on my first saltwater tank. It's a 55g tank with 76lbs LR. I upgraded lighting to the JBJ Formosa 4*65 in hopes of gaining the ability to raise some soft coral. However, I have a dilemma. I'm on the fence about going FOWLR adding a couple of clowns, a Yellow tang and Picasso Trigger, or not adding the trigger and doing the soft corals. Any suggestions?? Can I raise corals at all with my current lighting?

If I do decide to go FOWLR with the trigger, what order should I add the fish? I've read (The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner) that the tang would go first to help with controlling algae. But, taking to folks at the LFS, the tang should be added last or at the same time as the trigger because it is so territorial. Which resource is more correct?

Thanks! And here is a picture of my tank...

Old 05-24-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Welcome to the site. We are all glad you joined.

Add the most agressive fish last.

Man thats a 55 with 75lbs of LR> That rock must be dense and very heavy. When I was looking at the photo I thought it was a bigger system.

WIth your current lighting I would say your good for mushrooms, and leathers at least. If you get items that demand a little more light than normal you could position them toward the top of the rock so they are closer to the light.

Its a personal prefernce but you might want to add a few more gal to your tank cause the water line appears low. I personally like the water line above the bottom of the top frame. But like I said its a personal prefernce and if you like how it is then by all means dont change it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, will the trigger not taste test the mushrooms and leathers?

I will add some water. Actually, when topped off the waterline is pretty much even with the bottom of the trim. Lately it seems like I am evaporating 1/2 gallon per day. Am I crazy, or is that a lot? I checked for leaks in the tank
Old 05-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
1/2 gal a day for a 55 gal tank. Ya that seems about right.

I dont know about the trigger. Someone else should jump in soon to help ya out on that one.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
I just got a trigger, he is in a tank with a few mushrooms. He hasn't touched them. Drop some brine in there and hes all over it, so I doubt he will go after the shrooms.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Nice Looking setup!
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I just started a 180 gal . I have 2 blue Damsels , 1 Niger Trigger , and 1 Picasso 70 pounds of Marshal Island LR ( 115 pounds to get ) Im not worried as much about the LR as I am the clean up crew , snails , crabs, hermits stuff like that , the picasso is very agrassive ,, Im afraid he's going to eat all of them , I think Im going to take him back and trade him in on some other kind of fish he is a great fish just dont think he's going to make a good reef fish . To much there to eat on ! 8O

Tags
coral, picasso

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com