Picasso v. Coral and The Order of the Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy929

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I am new to the board and have been lurking and learning a lot lately. I've just finished (or think I've finished) the nitrogen cycle on my first saltwater tank. It's a 55g tank with 76lbs LR. I upgraded lighting to the JBJ Formosa 4*65 in hopes of gaining the ability to raise some soft coral. However, I have a dilemma. I'm on the fence about going FOWLR adding a couple of clowns, a Yellow tang and Picasso Trigger, or not adding the trigger and doing the soft corals. Any suggestions?? Can I raise corals at all with my current lighting?

If I do decide to go FOWLR with the trigger, what order should I add the fish? I've read (The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner) that the tang would go first to help with controlling algae. But, taking to folks at the LFS, the tang should be added last or at the same time as the trigger because it is so territorial. Which resource is more correct?

Thanks! And here is a picture of my tank...

swtank3.jpg

Welcome to the site. We are all glad you joined.

Add the most agressive fish last.

Man thats a 55 with 75lbs of LR> That rock must be dense and very heavy. When I was looking at the photo I thought it was a bigger system.

WIth your current lighting I would say your good for mushrooms, and leathers at least. If you get items that demand a little more light than normal you could position them toward the top of the rock so they are closer to the light.

Its a personal prefernce but you might want to add a few more gal to your tank cause the water line appears low. I personally like the water line above the bottom of the top frame. But like I said its a personal prefernce and if you like how it is then by all means dont change it.

So, will the trigger not taste test the mushrooms and leathers?

I will add some water. Actually, when topped off the waterline is pretty much even with the bottom of the trim. Lately it seems like I am evaporating 1/2 gallon per day. Am I crazy, or is that a lot? I checked for leaks in the tank :D

1/2 gal a day for a 55 gal tank. Ya that seems about right.

I dont know about the trigger. Someone else should jump in soon to help ya out on that one.

I just got a trigger, he is in a tank with a few mushrooms. He hasn't touched them. Drop some brine in there and hes all over it, so I doubt he will go after the shrooms.

Well I just started a 180 gal . I have 2 blue Damsels , 1 Niger Trigger , and 1 Picasso 70 pounds of Marshal Island LR ( 115 pounds to get ) Im not worried as much about the LR as I am the clean up crew , snails , crabs, hermits stuff like that , the picasso is very agrassive ,, Im afraid he's going to eat all of them , I think Im going to take him back and trade him in on some other kind of fish :cry: he is a great fish just dont think he's going to make a good reef fish . To much there to eat on ! 8O

Back
Top Bottom