Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Those are exactly the ones. I have 2 over my tank.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

How many would I need? The tank is 6 ft long. And does it make the fishes color pop? Like pretty much glow?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just 3. Each light covers a 24"x24" area.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Some fish, yes. Not all of them though. Yellow tangs seem to look like scopus tangs when just the blues are on.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

update: the tank is actually 210 gallons.
finally got the tank moved, filled, and running. pics below.

salinity is at 1.025/1.026 @ 78°F. i definitely need to get a refractometer to tell accurately, but i did test about 5x already since i filled it and a couple times when it was still in the mixing bin, and each test it was at 1.025/1.026. (atleast after i got to that salinity point, it stayed there) the tanks been filled with rodi water+salt and running for two days. the redness went away after doing 50% water change. i managed to save 50% of the water when i moved. cleaned up/scraped the overflows that was full of sharp things. (should've taken pics through the cleaning) cleaned inside the stand, changed the socks, cleaned the sump, uv sterilizer, skimmer. the skimmer works wonders! had it running for half a day and it pulled so much nasty stuff! i found out that it was a reef dynamics skimmer after getting in touch with them. anyway the water is crystal clear. cant wait to start adding fish then eventually corals. still need to wait for the test kits to test the water though. so im patiently waiting.

i did plasti dip the back of the tank since i didnt want to paint it which would make it permanent. or atleast pita to remove using actual paint. used about 4 of these. works great. have used them on my other hobby(cars) alot of times and they look good when you spray them, and it peels right off when you want.

question, what else would i need to run a decent reef tank? im seeing people having calcium reactors and such. are those needed? or are they more like fertilizers to plants where the plant doesnt actually need it, but would make it healthier and so on...

i have ordered :
(3) 165 evergrow full spectrum led
Refractometer
Api saltwater test kit
uv sterilizer bulb

still to order :
(4) 2000gph or higher powerheads. not sure which brands to go with.
some wavemaker. not sure which brand..
whatever else you guys think i would need in order to run a reef tank. pls, dont hesitate to post up. i highly appreciate you guy's/gals advice.

heres the random pics i took. the redness/orangeness is from the living room light. cant wait for the tank light to come in!!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How secure are those arches? You may want to use putty and super glue gel if you haven't already
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

would i need this since im doing reef?
Amazon.com: Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit - Calcium, Alkalinity & Magnesium: Pet Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
How secure are those arches? You may want to use putty and super glue gel if you haven't already
they are on there. when i set the rocks i rock em back and forth. if it bulges one bit, i reposition it.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would get that test kit but just once you start adding corals. There is no need for a calcium reactor or dosing pumps unless you get into serious sps keeping.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonskeezy28 View Post
would i need this since im doing reef?

Amazon.com: Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit - Calcium, Alkalinity & Magnesium: Pet Supplies

they are on there. when i set the rocks i rock em back and forth. if it bulges one bit, i reposition it.

Yes that would be a good test kit to have for a reef. I would still think about securing them big tank = big fish and big fish knocking over a rock = possible flood
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I would get that test kit but just once you start adding corals. There is no need for a calcium reactor or dosing pumps unless you get into serious sps keeping.
i would want mine to eventually get to this. nothing crazy. a tank like this would need calcium reactors/dosing pumps?

Tags
tank, gallon, 10 gallon, ick, pic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sump | Sand bed? »