Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

update : lights are mounted and works. they're pretty nice. a lot more white than the ones i saw in the lfs which is actually nice. with the dials (blues,white+other colors) turned at the same intensity, the tank has a cool white look to it which is awesome.

had to buy heaters since the one that came with the tank isnt as good. always turning on/off has only brought the temp up to 64degF at the most. so i picked up two 300 watt jager heaters. gotta figure out how to mount those since they are pretty long.

on to my questions:
could i have the blues 10% brighter than the whites/other colors? kinda liking the blue look a lot.

if not, i could go buy some actinic blue led strips and get those on top to get more blues. would that also be ok?

what % of brightness of blues/whites+colors for reef?

still no fish yet. api test kit has not come yet.

pics to come when my inside glass cleaners come in from the mail. the glass inside the tank is quite dirty..

edit : thinking of running a refugium as well as the skimmer. what size tank would i need to run one? i have a 210 gallon reef that i am setting up for those that do not read the 1st post or title. lol

Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, you can turn the white channel down and keep the blue up at 100% if you like. I have mine at 100% blue, and about 50% white over my tank.
As far as the refugium goes, as big as you can fit. There is no standard for this.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yes, you can turn the white channel down and keep the blue up at 100% if you like. I have mine at 100% blue, and about 50% white over my tank.
As far as the refugium goes, as big as you can fit. There is no standard for this.
Thanks man! Time to read up on refugiums. I know there are countless sources for begginer corals. But what would u recommend? Looking for the neon,colorful, begginer corals.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

picked up a 210 gallon tank. need help

Zoas/palys come in pretty much every color you can imagine and are a pretty easy coral. Most softies are easy (ricordea are my personal favorite softie), you can also look at some hardy lps like frogspawn, hammers, Duncan's, and trumpets all make good beginner corals IMO.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Zoas/palys come in pretty much every color you can imagine and are a pretty easy coral. Most softies are easy (ricordea are my personal favorite softie), you can also look at some hardy lps like frogspawn, hammers, Duncan's, and trumpets all make good beginner corals IMO.
Thnks for the advice!

Would I need to start dosing if I get lps? Im not quite ready yet for that. Still has more stuff to buy. Lol. Powerheads for one would run me 400-500. Ricordia looks awesome.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonskeezy28 View Post
Thnks for the advice!

Would I need to start dosing if I get lps? Im not quite ready yet for that. Still has more stuff to buy. Lol. Powerheads for one would run me 400-500. Ricordia looks awesome.
No even with a bunch of sps you wouldn't need to dose until they start turning into small colonies
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
No even with a bunch of sps you wouldn't need to dose until they start turning into small colonies
oh ok. good to know! i'll get a couple begginer ones then. (when the tanks ready)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good! I'm a huge Duncan coral fan. Fast grower and beautiful swaying polyps
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Sounds good! I'm a huge Duncan coral fan. Fast grower and beautiful swaying polyps
yep. gonna add that to the list! thanks again!

i know i could search this, but oh well.
how often should i change the water? and what % do i take out?

also, im gonna be getting my auto top off soon. now, would i need a heater on the auto top off reservoir (40gallons of rodi)?

edit: also on my tank, the right side gets sunlight when the blinds are open. would that be problem? should i plasti dip just that side as well? its only facing a wall anyway.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonskeezy28 View Post
yep. gonna add that to the list! thanks again!

i know i could search this, but oh well.
how often should i change the water? and what % do i take out?

also, im gonna be getting my auto top off soon. now, would i need a heater on the auto top off reservoir (40gallons of rodi)?

edit: also on my tank, the right side gets sunlight when the blinds are open. would that be problem? should i plasti dip just that side as well? its only facing a wall anyway.
I'd try to do weekly wc of 15-25%. Um for the ato it depends how much you're losing. A gallon of cooler water a day isn't gonna change the temp but 5-10 could. It wouldn't hurt. I'd try to block as much sunlight as possible. It may not affect much or it could aid in nuisance algae.

Tags
tank, gallon, 10 gallon, ick, pic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sump | Sand bed? »