Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

10% a week is usually recommended. However, it depends on stocking and feeding.

Also, the powerheads don't have to be 500$ a piece. Those are the fancy ones that have pulse modes and controllers. You could get a few normal hydor Koralinas.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol. i wish i was talking about the vortechs. im looking at the jebao ones. ive researched them all over and most of the reviews are positive.

question though, would i really need 4 wp40s? if so, im pulling the trigger on this when i get more yays. they seem to be powerful and i think 4 of em in my tank would be overkill?

from watching vids on em in action on youtube, i think 2 wp40s, and 2 wp25s would suffice

just to throw this out there
wp40s 900gph-3000gph
wp25s 800gph-2000gph

i was thinking of the having the wp40s pushing through the 6ft long tank, side to side. and the other wp25s facing the front of the tank? let me know guys. i really really think i'd be spilling water if i get 4 wp40s. haha

edit : wp40
heres a vid on the wp40

Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with 2 wp40s and 2 wp25s. If not 5 hydor koralia evolution 1500s would work. Right now on dr. Foster an smith that would be 175$ with free shipping.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I would go with 2 wp40s and 2 wp25s. If not 5 hydor koralia evolution 1500s would work. Right now on dr. Foster an smith that would be 175$ with free shipping.
i like the jebao idea better. ill pay a little more for more flow. thanks for chiming in!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

question about the refugium that i want to set up. im going to redo the plumbing and do hard pipes. i kinda hate the flexible pipes. that, and i want to add a some kind of drain for easy water changes, ball valves, check valves.

in which order should the water go? socks-skimmer-refugium-return pumps? let me know. and thanks again to all the people chiming in!

i also have this sump

where would i put the pump, to pump the water to the refugium tank? im guessing the return area?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, that sounds good.
Socks and skimmer>refugium>return.
Check valves can't be trusted in salt water tanks due to sponges and tube worms growing just about everywhere. I prefer to be able to move my plumbing with ease if need be.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

is it ok to put the heaters inside the overflow? im thinking it is, but the heaters wont heat the water as efficient since there isnt that much flow in the overflow? yes? no?. i got two 300watt heaters that are 20'' long. does not fit the sump due to the baffles. i'd hate to have em inside the tank. it'd be an eyesore to me.

how often do you change the socks? ive been told to clean em once in two weeks, and two weeks after that throw them away and get new ones? so far ive cleaned em twice. haha still do not have fish anyway. the skimmer is skimming away. i clean it once a week since it pulls so much crap. and it foams real good if i do clean weekly.

so the test kits came in but they sent me kits that are going to expire in 5 months which is no bueno. so those were sent back. still have no idea what my water parameters are. im hoping they are good. doing 10% water changes regardless.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have only changed my filters once. I used to use them, but they were a pain so I CHANGED. I no longer use them.
In a year and a half I still don't have any significant sediment in my sump. I did have to suck out a bunch of colonista snail shells from my return section tho.
The heater in the overflow will probably be less effective than in the sump. You might have to run it a bit hotter to keep the tank at the right temp due to the reduced flow there. But the heated water should rise to the standpipe ontakes.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't throw the filter socks away. Turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I would switch them out just before they are no longer letting water pass through.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I have only changed my filters once. I used to use them, but they were a pain so I CHANGED. I no longer use them.
In a year and a half I still don't have any significant sediment in my sump. I did have to suck out a bunch of colonista snail shells from my return section tho.
The heater in the overflow will probably be less effective than in the sump. You might have to run it a bit hotter to keep the tank at the right temp due to the reduced flow there. But the heated water should rise to the standpipe ontakes.
mine is rather simple to change. two unions and i pull the cover that houses two bulkheads which leads to the socks and voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Don't throw the filter socks away. Turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I would switch them out just before they are no longer letting water pass through.
good to know! good thing i didnt buy new ones. i would probably do a good rinse on them before i throw them in the washer. any thoughts on my heater issue? sell em and get two different ones that would actually fit the sump or?? thats what im leaning towards to. i do like the ones i have now. just doesnt fit

Tags
tank, gallon, 10 gallon, ick, pic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sump | Sand bed? »