picked up a 210 gallon tank. need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10% a week is usually recommended. However, it depends on stocking and feeding.

Also, the powerheads don't have to be 500$ a piece. Those are the fancy ones that have pulse modes and controllers. You could get a few normal hydor Koralinas.

lol. i wish i was talking about the vortechs. im looking at the jebao ones. ive researched them all over and most of the reviews are positive.

question though, would i really need 4 wp40s? if so, im pulling the trigger on this when i get more yays. they seem to be powerful and i think 4 of em in my tank would be overkill?

from watching vids on em in action on youtube, i think 2 wp40s, and 2 wp25s would suffice

just to throw this out there
wp40s 900gph-3000gph
wp25s 800gph-2000gph

i was thinking of the having the wp40s pushing through the 6ft long tank, side to side. and the other wp25s facing the front of the tank? let me know guys. i really really think i'd be spilling water if i get 4 wp40s. haha

edit : wp40
heres a vid on the wp40

I would go with 2 wp40s and 2 wp25s. If not 5 hydor koralia evolution 1500s would work. Right now on dr. Foster an smith that would be 175$ with free shipping.

I would go with 2 wp40s and 2 wp25s. If not 5 hydor koralia evolution 1500s would work. Right now on dr. Foster an smith that would be 175$ with free shipping.

i like the jebao idea better. ill pay a little more for more flow. thanks for chiming in!

question about the refugium that i want to set up. im going to redo the plumbing and do hard pipes. i kinda hate the flexible pipes. that, and i want to add a some kind of drain for easy water changes, ball valves, check valves.

in which order should the water go? socks-skimmer-refugium-return pumps? let me know. and thanks again to all the people chiming in!

i also have this sump
product_detailed_image_29867_85.jpg

where would i put the pump, to pump the water to the refugium tank? im guessing the return area?

Yes, that sounds good.
Socks and skimmer>refugium>return.
Check valves can't be trusted in salt water tanks due to sponges and tube worms growing just about everywhere. I prefer to be able to move my plumbing with ease if need be.

is it ok to put the heaters inside the overflow? im thinking it is, but the heaters wont heat the water as efficient since there isnt that much flow in the overflow? yes? no?. i got two 300watt heaters that are 20'' long. does not fit the sump due to the baffles. i'd hate to have em inside the tank. it'd be an eyesore to me.

how often do you change the socks? ive been told to clean em once in two weeks, and two weeks after that throw them away and get new ones? so far ive cleaned em twice. haha still do not have fish anyway. the skimmer is skimming away. i clean it once a week since it pulls so much crap. and it foams real good if i do clean weekly.

so the test kits came in but they sent me kits that are going to expire in 5 months which is no bueno. so those were sent back. still have no idea what my water parameters are. im hoping they are good. doing 10% water changes regardless.

I have only changed my filters once. I used to use them, but they were a pain so I CHANGED. I no longer use them.
In a year and a half I still don't have any significant sediment in my sump. I did have to suck out a bunch of colonista snail shells from my return section tho.
The heater in the overflow will probably be less effective than in the sump. You might have to run it a bit hotter to keep the tank at the right temp due to the reduced flow there. But the heated water should rise to the standpipe ontakes.

Don't throw the filter socks away. Turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I would switch them out just before they are no longer letting water pass through.

I have only changed my filters once. I used to use them, but they were a pain so I CHANGED. I no longer use them.
In a year and a half I still don't have any significant sediment in my sump. I did have to suck out a bunch of colonista snail shells from my return section tho.
The heater in the overflow will probably be less effective than in the sump. You might have to run it a bit hotter to keep the tank at the right temp due to the reduced flow there. But the heated water should rise to the standpipe ontakes.

mine is rather simple to change. two unions and i pull the cover that houses two bulkheads which leads to the socks and voila!

Don't throw the filter socks away. Turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach. I would switch them out just before they are no longer letting water pass through.

good to know! good thing i didnt buy new ones. i would probably do a good rinse on them before i throw them in the washer. any thoughts on my heater issue? sell em and get two different ones that would actually fit the sump or?? thats what im leaning towards to. i do like the ones i have now. just doesnt fit :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

How far out of the water do they protrude when in the sump? IMO, I would want one in the display though....my thinking is if the return pump fails, your fish won't freeze before you find out and address the situation.

Last edited:
FINALLY WATER SPECS!!! how am i looking guys? nitrate is off the charts. & Holy Phosphates!! How much % water change would i need to do to lower it? im guessing all these was due to the old water the i used?

How far out of the water do they protrude when in the sump? IMO, I would want one in the display though....my thinking is if the return pump fails, your fish won't freeze before you find out and address the situation.

id hate to look at a heater inside the tank. :/ the water level is less than 10" for sure in the sump, and the whole heater standing up is 20-25". i forgot. currently out of town so icant measure it again. i had a family member check the water since i couldnt wait to find out. haha

Water changes. I know it was brought up and the jury is out, but I have seen where people put the heater in the overflow without issues. At least you have a few months or so to get it worked out. Can you return it and get two smaller ones?

finally got to clean the glass. for some reason, the camera shots look purple-ish. in person it looks more blue more than anything.

Blues only @ 100%

whites+other colors only @ 100%

Blues+Whites & Other Colors on @ 100%
(this one is kinda blurry. didnt realize it till i uploaded)

Water changes. I know it was brought up and the jury is out, but I have seen where people put the heater in the overflow without issues. At least you have a few months or so to get it worked out. Can you return it and get two smaller ones?

i can. but the place is an hour away. lol so if putting them in the overflow is ok then im all for it.

Back
Top Bottom