Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

picked up a 210 gallon tank. need help

hello guys/ladies. i recently came up on a 210 gallon salt water tank. ill post some cell pics of it(will get decent quality ones tomorrow/soon) and was thinking of converting it to fresh. but now im thinking of keeping it salt. will for sure change the layout but am definitely thinking of keeping salt now after seeing a bunch of pics on here.

question, how hard would it be for me to maintain the tank? upkeep and maintenance money wise, what am i looking at monthly? i also would need help identifying the equipment since all i ever had before was an 80 gallon cichlid tank with two filters that you hang on the side of the aquarium. the equipment i have now is all plumbed underneath the tank.

excuse the dirtyness. ill forsure take better care of the tank when its in my hands

Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a barely started saltwater tank.

Maintenance depends on livestock, how much and how often you feed, filtration, and a host of other variables. Do you want fish only or plan on corals as well?

Saltwater is not a cheap hobby!

Expect to do 10-20% water changes weekly and/or bi-weekly (saltwater). And daily water top offs (rodi fresh water). Cost will depend on if you purchase pre-mixed saltwater from LFS or mix your own and if you purchase rodi from lfs or make your own with rodi filter.

Equipment wise i can see you have a sump, protein skimmer, and what looks like maybe a uv sterilizer(the white PVC tube thing).

Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Looks like a barely started saltwater tank.

Maintenance depends on livestock, how much and how often you feed, filtration, and a host of other variables. Do you want fish only or plan on corals as well?

Saltwater is not a cheap hobby!

Expect to do 10-20% water changes weekly and/or bi-weekly (saltwater). And daily water top offs (rodi fresh water). Cost will depend on if you purchase pre-mixed saltwater from LFS or mix your own and if you purchase rodi from lfs or make your own with rodi filter.

Equipment wise i can see you have a sump, protein skimmer, and what looks like maybe a uv sterilizer(the white PVC tube thing).
the tank used to have corals/fishes. so im gonna be doing both. water changes i can handle and topping off daily i used to do the same tank when i was working there. theres a lfs that sells premixed for 80 cents a gallon. not too shabby. i already posted better quality pics. but a moderator has to approved first. im guessing its because im new?

hows the equipment as is? the tank had corals before and it did pretty well. im assuming the equipment isnt too bad? let me know pls. i also need lights. which are the best lights? i also want the light that is blue and makes the colors on the fishes/corals really pop! i believe they're called metal halides? which brand, etc etc..
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

pics

lights setup (no bulbs) lol

fishes that i didnt give away! almost did. wish i decided to keep it salt first time the tank was given to me.

are these powerheads? the water is reddish too. dunno why. maybe the food dye/overfeeding?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonskeezy28 View Post
the tank used to have corals/fishes. so im gonna be doing both. water changes i can handle and topping off daily i used to do the same tank when i was working there. theres a lfs that sells premixed for 80 cents a gallon. not too shabby. i already posted better quality pics. but a moderator has to approved first. im guessing its because im new?

hows the equipment as is? the tank had corals before and it did pretty well. im assuming the equipment isnt too bad? let me know pls. i also need lights. which are the best lights? i also want the light that is blue and makes the colors on the fishes/corals really pop! i believe they're called metal halides? which brand, etc etc..
Don't waste your money on premixed. For a tank that big get your own rodi unit. You will save time and gas money. Go leds, the eBay 120 watt will work and you'll need 3.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Don't waste your money on premixed. For a tank that big get your own rodi unit. You will save time and gas money. Go leds, the eBay 120 watt will work and you'll need 3.
leds good enough for corals/fishes? i thought those were only for color. i gotta research on that. i need to i.d. everything so i can read about em. lol
Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes a bunch of users on here use them and they grow all types of coral
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes...if you are worried about money, LEDs will pay for themselves in a short time. Those metal halides you have will make your electric meter spin like crazy. if you are interested in keeping corals, you will probably want to get rid of the angel. They are not reef safe.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 120 watt dimmable LEDs on eBay are powerful enough to grow all corals.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

are these the ones you guys are talking about?

2X Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W Coral Reef Tank White Blue Grow 55x3 Watt | eBay

Tags
tank, gallon, 10 gallon, ick, pic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sump | Sand bed? »