Picking 1st fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KcTx

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I think I'll be adding my 1st fish this weekend and I'm not really sure what I want & I'd like your input. The fish must be a easy non aggressive reef safe fish , my wife and daughter both are screaming nemo, nemo, nemo!! LoL so a clown is a possible candidate.

Kc

So I think I'll be adding my 1st fish this weekend and I'm not really sure what I want & I'd like your input. The fish must be a easy non aggressive reef safe fish , my wife and daughter both are screaming nemo, nemo, nemo!! LoL so a clown is a possible candidate.

Kc

I would say a damsel; the blue yellow tail damsels are nice and pretty rugged.

i suggest a clown fish very fun to watch colorfull reef safe. they were my first fish a few weeks ago a pair of perculas, and the black ones are even cooler and they evne recognize me when i go to the glass. what size tank is it?

i suggest a clown fish very fun to watch colorfull reef safe. they were my first fish a few weeks ago a pair of perculas, and the black ones are even cooler and they evne recognize me when i go to the glass. what size tank is it?

+1 My first fish as well. The wife made me go with the standard but I wanted black. (we all know who wins those battles). :) Also, the Damsels can be aggressive to other fish from what I have been told and what I have read. I would shy away from them. The clowns are a durable as the damsels to boot.

It's a 55 corner with lots of rock. I really think a pair of clowns might be the ticket. Can you mix them like a perula & picasso or does it need to be a matching set?

I am no expert but from what I have read here the short answer is yes. The long answer is it has to be the right species. Not all mix well.

I would do a pair of clowns. Hardy and entertaining. I would steer clear of other damsels. Very territorial, especially when they're the first fish. Mine are a pain in the arse.

I think clowns would be an excellent choice! And yes you can mix them withing reason. I would stick to oscellaris to avoid any issues though. For instance dont get a maroon one and a regular nemo, the maroon are known to be super more aggressive than regular ones.

Might I suggest you not get a real expensive first fish? The picassos and snowflakes are awful pricey and if anything happened you would be out some serious cash. Just a thought. :)

The other fish mentioned would also be good, i had a royal gramma and loved her, she was very friendly.

So I added a b&w clown along with a cleaner shrimp some craps & snails. Everything is doing great aside from the clown, I used the drip acclimation method an took plenty of time so i know all that went well, my water is ok so I don't know what's up. It's came out and swam around the tank for awhile and when the lights went out it went straight to the tip of the yank and had been there looking awfully sad, I read that they are shy and will find a safe a safe spot near the top. I happen to have a powerhead near where he is. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope I didn't just throw $70 out the window lol

Clowns are weird little fish. One pair I had slept upside down in the top right corner of my tank. Another pair would sleep on the sandbed. My newest pari sleep mid tank and stay pretty much to the top. I bet yours will come around in short time, probably just getting used to it's new home.

Thanks Carey. I felt better after reading exactly what mine is doing online. I only got 1 fish yesterday, I have to make a long drive and the guy at fish store was straight up with me and said that the common orange/white had been under the weather and they had treated the tank. He Said if I was going a short distance it would be a big deal but he didn't think it would make it on a 5 hour bag ride. I'll get the 2nd this coming weekend after there fish have recovered fully.

My pair always sleep in the top back corner behind a power head. they stayed to the region of the tank for the most part (would venture out to the other side of the tank but always on top and only for a short time) until we got the 6 Line Wrasse. Now they venture all over the tank and have become pals with the wrasse. LOL

I'm getting my B&W's next weekend, but its into the QT for them for around (3-4) weeks. But then hopefully they make friends with their tankmates as well.

On a side note, my Flame Angel was kinda shy at first, hiding a lot, and then I added a sixline, and now they are best pals and swim all over the tank together. Don't forget we have the same tank setup.

I think sixlines must just be party starters. :)

I think sixlines must just be party starters. :)

LOL I think you are right. Although my emerald crab didn't think so yesterday. He found something that was in a small half shell (not sure what it was) and was feasting but the 6 line kept trying to take it away. The crab eventually won and the 6 line gave up. LOL

Well I was home for lunch and the lil guy is out & about and seems to be ok. Next week I'll be adding the 2nd clown and a 6 line. My tank should be party ready then! LoL

Kc

Well I made some new additions to the tank today. I added my second clown a yellow head goby & a Harlequin Bass. I'm actually a bit nerves about the bass being to aggressive but everyone seems to be playing well so far. The goby & the bass had a heated conversion about this 1 rock but It seems that they have found a compromise that is working for them. Clowns paired up immediately and are oblivious to everything else in the tank thus far.

Good to hear that they are getting along. I woudl be watching that bass though, they are known to be troublemakers in happy tank. I;d love to get one myself! LOL

Well he is deff runnin the tank, I think I might have to tale him back thou, he get after a snail this morning and it was crazy how agitated he was. I also feel like he is stalking my clowns lol. Since I have so much rock in my tank with nooks & caverns he will just pop up out of nowhere and look at you like WHAT! LoL
Another funny thing he did, a small moth landed on the glass and the bass went ape turds, striking the glass flaring his gills and fanning the sand bed. Really cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom