Picking a Bio-Spira fight!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timmytimtim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK...I've been reading way too much on here about the cycling process. I see many differing opinions about how there is no other way than the "old" methods. I am having a very hard time believing that!!!!!!! Are you all telling me that human beings can develop treatments for horrible diseases, cancers, small pox, typhoid, etc....but there is no possible way that we developed a way to harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank?????

As Bones would say it Jim...it's just not logical." :agrue:

Last edited by a moderator:
All everyone is doing is posting their opinion. Respect it for what it is and do what you think is the way to go.

Mike,

Thanks for replying. I'm not really trying to pick a fight with anyone. I just want to know why everyone is sooooo against the possibility of a product like this. I dont have stock in the company or anything...just curious. There are lot of people that just dismiss the idea...I'm looking more for justification than opinion. Understand???? I just put picking a fight in the title so people would actually respond and maybe I can learn something. There are other posts that hundreds look at but no one answers...other than a moderator of course. =)

I`ll tell you why I dont use it because IMO and IME it just seems that a slower approach seems more natural and helps to spread the nitrifying bacteria at a slower but more evenly pace. I know some folks would say grow up with the times but I`m going to stick with my gut feeling. There are some that use that stuff and that`s great. Whatever works for them is great. You know how the old saying goes. Opinions are like armpits. We have two of them and they both stink. LOL. You just do what you think is right.

Mike,

Thanks. I really appreciate your honest answer.

Partypalooza5

I saw this on another site and thought it was a perfect response to your reply. Thanks for the input.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

but there is no possible way that we developed a way to harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank?????

ok i dont know sw. i can answer your question where i do know in fw.

your question isnt about bio spira. its about using a tank set up to cycle another. at least thats what is implied to me. if thats really the question in fw the answer is yes there is. i have several filters on a tank i move one over or 2 from different tanks toss some plants in there and i have a cycled fw tank. while i know thigns are different in sw ill go out on a limb here in saying if oyu already have one cycled sw tank stealing stuff from it and using it for the new tank will at least cycle it faster. take some live rock and sand there you go.

so to answer your question yes harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank.

Well if you look at it like the "live" sand approach, how much bacteria can survive the shipping and no O2 while it sits on a shelf properly or improperly stored.
There are folks that swear by it and have had success. Personally,I like to go with the raw shrimp. When I cycled my 125 it cost me $.51 for the shrimp. As you know, start up of a new SW tank can be costly, so I go cheap where I can and save for the important stuff like lighting, equipment filtration and critters.
I think it is a good question and if this thread stays civil, many folks can get great advice.
I think the title of the thread might raise some eyebrows, lol.

Okay, I believe that most of my answers have to be tried and true before I put TC after it. Sure new things come into lthe hobby every year. That does not mean that I have to rave about them all. I can only answer your question with what I know. So until it becomes "Matter of Fact" I will have to answer with what I know and a "yes, maybe it will work", but right now will cost you more. IMO, well maybe...:)

I am by no means one of those folks that has been doing this for decades. I don't know "old school"... it's all new to me! Well... relatively. Many of these bottled bacteria products have come out only within the last couple years.

Many folks swear by the stuff. They've used it, and it worked for them. But the thing about stuff like this is that you don't know what would've happened if you hadn't used it. And often times folks that swear the stuff works don't have the ammonia/nitrite readings and just assumed it worked because their fish didn't die. Not saying it doesn't work... just saying that it's tough to really prove beyond a doubt that it actually works in all cases, in all tanks. I KNOW a rotting shrimp will work.

The thing I don't like about it though it what does it save you? OK... say it works. You dump the stuff in your tank and you're ready to put a fish in the next day. So you saved yourself a month of cycling time. In the big picture, a month is nothing. Properly stocking a tank takes time, and if you don't have a month to blow in the beginning, that tells me that you're going to be rushing things somewhere else down the road. I'm not a naturally patient person, and this hobby has taught me to "be still" and let the tank try to take care of itself first. The normal saying is true... "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank."

Further... if you're using a quarantine tank setup (which we ALL should be), once you get the fish in the QT you still have another month before it goes into the main tank. When I set up my tank, I had my first fish in my QT at the same time my main tank was cycling. My QT was cycling a couple months before I even had water in my main tank. With proper planning, you really don't need "overnight" products.

To take that point further...We should all take the time to do lots and lots of research while our tanks are cycling. Time spent reading about our hobby is time well spent.IMO...

Back
Top Bottom