Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cool Picking a Bio-Spira fight!!!!!!!

OK...I've been reading way too much on here about the cycling process. I see many differing opinions about how there is no other way than the "old" methods. I am having a very hard time believing that!!!!!!! Are you all telling me that human beings can develop treatments for horrible diseases, cancers, small pox, typhoid, etc....but there is no possible way that we developed a way to harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank?????

As Bones would say it Jim...it's just not logical."

Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

All everyone is doing is posting their opinion. Respect it for what it is and do what you think is the way to go.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #3

Mike,

Thanks for replying. I'm not really trying to pick a fight with anyone. I just want to know why everyone is sooooo against the possibility of a product like this. I dont have stock in the company or anything...just curious. There are lot of people that just dismiss the idea...I'm looking more for justification than opinion. Understand???? I just put picking a fight in the title so people would actually respond and maybe I can learn something. There are other posts that hundreds look at but no one answers...other than a moderator of course. =)
Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
As someone once said "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the other way"

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ll tell you why I dont use it because IMO and IME it just seems that a slower approach seems more natural and helps to spread the nitrifying bacteria at a slower but more evenly pace. I know some folks would say grow up with the times but I`m going to stick with my gut feeling. There are some that use that stuff and that`s great. Whatever works for them is great. You know how the old saying goes. Opinions are like armpits. We have two of them and they both stink. LOL. You just do what you think is right.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #6

Mike,

Thanks. I really appreciate your honest answer.

Partypalooza5

I saw this on another site and thought it was a perfect response to your reply. Thanks for the input.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Fish R friends, not food!

Bones wouldn't say that, Spock would.....LOL!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
but there is no possible way that we developed a way to harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank?????
ok i dont know sw. i can answer your question where i do know in fw.

your question isnt about bio spira. its about using a tank set up to cycle another. at least thats what is implied to me. if thats really the question in fw the answer is yes there is. i have several filters on a tank i move one over or 2 from different tanks toss some plants in there and i have a cycled fw tank. while i know thigns are different in sw ill go out on a limb here in saying if oyu already have one cycled sw tank stealing stuff from it and using it for the new tank will at least cycle it faster. take some live rock and sand there you go.

so to answer your question yes harness beneficial bacteria from an aquarium that can be used to cycle a new tank.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well if you look at it like the "live" sand approach, how much bacteria can survive the shipping and no O2 while it sits on a shelf properly or improperly stored.
There are folks that swear by it and have had success. Personally,I like to go with the raw shrimp. When I cycled my 125 it cost me $.51 for the shrimp. As you know, start up of a new SW tank can be costly, so I go cheap where I can and save for the important stuff like lighting, equipment filtration and critters.
I think it is a good question and if this thread stays civil, many folks can get great advice.
I think the title of the thread might raise some eyebrows, lol.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, I believe that most of my answers have to be tried and true before I put TC after it. Sure new things come into lthe hobby every year. That does not mean that I have to rave about them all. I can only answer your question with what I know. So until it becomes "Matter of Fact" I will have to answer with what I know and a "yes, maybe it will work", but right now will cost you more. IMO, well maybe...

Tags
bio, fight, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com