Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Picking a sand

I'm not really sure if the type of sand to use. I was thinking about a live sand but I've heard mixed opinions. Maybe just put sand down with a few rocks and then a seed it with some more live rocks and maybe a cup of live sand.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Def do live sand, helps along with everything. I've always done dry rock and live sand as live sand is less likely to contain hitch hikers and help seed the take and break things down. You also don't have to rinse for ever. I usually go with argonite too, I really prefer the look of it and it's not to fine

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
Def do live sand, helps along with everything. I've always done dry rock and live sand as live sand is less likely to contain hitch hikers and help seed the take and break things down. You also don't have to rinse for ever. I usually go with argonite too, I really prefer the look of it and it's not to fine

Okay that's good to hear because I was afraid of the hitchhikers. All ice been hearing is that they can just give you so many problems. If I used dry rock with live sand do you think that would be enough to seed the tank or should I still try and use some live rock as well to seed and begin the process?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Picking a sand

You'd still have to cycle the rock, live or dry but the sand should give it a boost. Every tank I've set (3) for saltwater I've done the live sand dry rock combo as when you cycle the rock becomes live. Live rock usually had Die off in it as its been inteoduced to air. I usually do a shrimp cycle, one piece of raw shrimp and a lot of candles to block out the smell but that usually gets the job done for the rock becoming kuve

10g saltwater
Old 03-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
You'd still have to cycle the rock, live or dry but the sand should give it a boost. Every tank I've set (3) for saltwater I've done the live sand dry rock combo as when you cycle the rock becomes live. Live rock usually had Die off in it as its been inteoduced to air. I usually do a shrimp cycle, one piece of raw shrimp and a lot of candles to block out the smell but that usually gets the job done for the rock becoming kuve

Really Shrimp? I've never heard of that. Maybe I'll give it a try
Old 03-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, one raw shrimp or serval tied up in a piece of pantyhose. Through it in and as it decays, your tank will cycle. Fresh shrimp or frozen works. I've always used frozen as it more easily to get from where I live

10g saltwater
Old 03-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've read that silica 20 is a hit or miss it's like pool filter sand also read some people using play sand with no issue

125g saltwater in the works
evil_ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's an interesting way to cycle for sure. And I'm going to go with the lie Sand now just to decide if I want something that's fine or not
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Aragonite is preferred as it's thought to contain less silicates for algae to use. Live sand is great! I did my fishless cycle with pure ammonia (dilution) from Ace hardware. I can't see the point of stinking up the house when I can get to the point. Here, have an ammonia source-ammonia!
Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
Aragonite is preferred as it's thought to contain less silicates for algae to use. Live sand is great! I did my fishless cycle with pure ammonia (dilution) from Ace hardware. I can't see the point of stinking up the house when I can get to the point. Here, have an ammonia source-ammonia!

Haha a very good point. Now how much ammonia do you used for the cycle?

Tags
ick, pic, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com