Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've only had it for a few days so I can't tell if I've got any dead spots. However, when I watch particles moving around in the water it seems like pretty good flow.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=25215

That website says its 53 GPH. I like it so far, no complaints yet!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Almost a week now. I added another piece of live rock on Sunday. I'm amazed at how clear the water has been. I still haven't been able to check my parameters because the testing kit is on order.

I hear about people having their water checked at their LFS. How much water has to be taken to them to test it?

I have seen tons of life in the tank! Dozens of tiny snails climbing on the glass, dozens of small starfish and an unknown number of brittle starfish ( since I can only see their arms coming from the rocks!)

I have seen three different colors of brittle starfish though ( blackish green, white and red with white stripes). I am looking to make this 5 gal into a reef... Will these types of hitchhikers play a role with my corals later on?

Also, I know that clown fish are supposed to be in 20 gallon tanks but my LFS have literally the smallest clowns I've ever seen. Like 1/2 in to 3/4 in. Could one of them survive in my 5 gal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2106219471.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	153506   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-782273266.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	153507  

Name:	image-2546717938.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	153508  

Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

A clown will quickly get too big for a 5g. I know its tiny now, but it'll produce too match waste and throw the parameters off quickly.

And I've never done it, but the signs I've seen at my LFS say to bring in a cup of water for testing.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin View Post
Almost a week now. I added another piece of live rock on Sunday. I'm amazed at how clear the water has been. I still haven't been able to check my parameters because the testing kit is on order.

I hear about people having their water checked at their LFS. How much water has to be taken to them to test it?

I have seen tons of life in the tank! Dozens of tiny snails climbing on the glass, dozens of small starfish and an unknown number of brittle starfish ( since I can only see their arms coming from the rocks!)

I have seen three different colors of brittle starfish though ( blackish green, white and red with white stripes). I am looking to make this 5 gal into a reef... Will these types of hitchhikers play a role with my corals later on?

Also, I know that clown fish are supposed to be in 20 gallon tanks but my LFS have literally the smallest clowns I've ever seen. Like 1/2 in to 3/4 in. Could one of them survive in my 5 gal?
Great pictures! I love that red striped star.

I'd call the LFS and ask if they are going to use liquid tests or paper strip tests. If they use paper strips (which aren't always accurate) then you won't need alot of water. Just enough for them to dip the strip in. If they use liquid tests then you'd need about a cup like Beengirl said.

Look on live aquaria at nano fish. You could try getting a clown goby. They aren't super active. Do alot of research on fish. Some need more swimming space because they are very active. Clowns get bigger than you think. I was surprised when I saw a full grown one. You have to consider the adult size and activity level of whatever fish you want to buy. The more active they are the more space they need, the more food they need, and the more poop they make. You may want to consider doing coral and inverts. Pom Pom crabs, emerald crab, dwarf hermit crabs, sexy shrimp, peppermint shrimp, a pistol shrimp, feather duster worms and different kinds of snails- cerith, bumble bee, margarita, nassarius, periwinkle blues... All of those will be fun to watch.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can get a pic for u this evening..no the glass only covers the hole in the center of the tank where the light overhangs the tank,...i will make sure to take pic of it too...this is his mantis shrimp tank..so he kept stock filter(2 n1) since it was the spec v ..had good flow for single res in tank...just put his media bag(s) in filter compartment and kept stock light...
Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I was away for two days and I come home and the feather dusters in my tank look much less perky! I also found some weird red growth on one of the rocks here's a before and after picture.

Could the feather dusters be looking like this because the cycle is still regulating itself?

My brittle starfish are still alive and moving. My other starfish are totally inanimate though, and it looks like they are covered in some kind of green growth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1552630514.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	154409   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-51879778.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	154410  

Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I was away for two days and I come home and the feather dusters in my tank look much less perky! I also found some weird red growth on one of the rocks here's a before and after picture.

Could the feather dusters be looking like this because the cycle is still regulating itself?

My brittle starfish are still alive and moving. My other starfish are totally inanimate though, and it looks like they are covered in some kind of green growth.
It could be due to the cycle. If you were gone for 2 days I'm sure there was some water evaporation. Have you checked salinity and topped off with fresh water?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I was gone but my gf took care of it. She did top offs too. The SG was the first thing I checked 1.023. I still can't check any other parameters because the kit hasn't arrived
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I just took some water into my LFS and to PetCo.i had them both use test strips on the water. I know they aren't as accurate as the test kit, but it's all I have right now. The kit should be in on Monday. This is what they both said:

Nitrates: between 0 and 10
Nitrites: 0
Alkalinity: too high to measure
PH: a little acid. My LFS guessed that it was about 7.8

How can I fix this alkalinity acidity issue?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I just took some water into my LFS and to PetCo.i had them both use test strips on the water. I know they aren't as accurate as the test kit, but it's all I have right now. The kit should be in on Monday. This is what they both said:

Nitrates: between 0 and 10
Nitrites: 0
Alkalinity: too high to measure
PH: a little acid. My LFS guessed that it was about 7.8

How can I fix this alkalinity acidity issue?
7.8pH is not too high for saltwater.

Did they tell you ammonia?

Tags
pico, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com