Pico Reef Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tripoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing the whole saltwater fish tank thing for a few years now, and due to space/money I keep downsizing. Currently I have a 10 gallon mirco reef setup with no fish, but several happy corals and inverts. It's using power compact lights and a Penguin 125 Bio-Wheel filter. Lots of live sand and live rock.

I've decided that it would be fun to try and reduce this tank to a "pico reef." Possibly all the way down to a gallon or less. I like the idea of keeping the tank as self-sufficient as possible.

What I was thinking would be a good setup would be a small filter, preferably with a bio-wheel or equivalent. Live sand and plenty of small pieces of live rock. Small corals, a few small inverts, and of course, one or two small fish.

I'd like to get suggestions on what type of filtration would be good, such as a Mini Penguin or if I should attempt to set up a small sump somehow. Keep in mind that a good portion of the tank will be filled with live sand and rock.

I'd also like suggestions for lighting. Although I'm sure I can figure this one out for myself, it's nice to have other opinions.

Also, feel free to make suggestions as to what livestock would be ideal. I'm looking for small fish (I love fire Clowns), corals that will stay relatively small (not mushrooms or leathers), small inverts (clams, shrimp, lobsters, etc), and whatever else you can think of.

I do realize that the smaller the reef, the more difficult it can be, but I'd really like to give this a shot, so let's all put our knowledge together and see what we can do. Thanks.

First,
schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I'd like to get suggestions on what type of filtration would be good, such as a Mini Penguin

I think the mini penguin would be fine, I wouldn't use the biowheel, just a carbon cartridge a couple days per week. In that small a tank you might find a need to slow or diffuse the flow from the filter ;)

I'd also like suggestions for lighting.

I'll let steve-s give you the details, but I think he uses a small clip on PC on his 3/4g tank.

I'm looking for small fish (I love fire Clowns)

IMO, clowns get to large and are to active for such a small tank, I would stick with a very small sedentary fish. What might be cool would be a hi-fin/banded shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp ;)

corals that will stay relatively small

IMO, there is no such animal ;) Corals by their very nature need to grow to large sizes for continued survival. You will want to stick with soft corals and SPS (corals that are easily fragged).

I do realize that the smaller the reef, the more difficult it can be, but I'd really like to give this a shot, so let's all put our knowledge together and see what we can do.

We will do whatever we can ;) Best of luck!!

reefrunner69 said:
I'd also like suggestions for lighting.

I'll let steve-s give you the details, but I think he uses a small clip on PC on his 3/4g tank.

It is a clip on PC light. I purchased it as part of a set. 7100k 7watt PC. Great light. Depending on the dimentions of the tank you may wish to look into a retrofit system though. I do not think Azoo is in business any longer. You may be able to find a few places that still carry set ups and parts, but would be concerned about replacement bulbs later on (I've already started looking).

Cheers
Steve

Would it behoove him to keep the 10-gallon tank and us it as sort of a sump set up? Not really add bioballs or anthing, but use it to...

A) increase the total amount of water
B) prevent him from having to change filters (keep the old penguin on the 10-gal)
C) provide a place to keep all the LS and LR that won't fit in the new pico reef tank so they're still providing filtration

Just an idea. Seems like he could have a siphon going from the pico to the 10-gal and a pump for return and it would pay off quite well for the effort.

Gauge said:
Would it behoove him to keep the 10-gallon tank and us it as sort of a sump set up? Not really add bioballs or anthing, but use it to...

A) increase the total amount of water
B) prevent him from having to change filters (keep the old penguin on the 10-gal)
C) provide a place to keep all the LS and LR that won't fit in the new pico reef tank so they're still providing filtration

Just an idea. Seems like he could have a siphon going from the pico to the 10-gal and a pump for return and it would pay off quite well for the effort.

This would be an option and IMO, it would make it more stable, but some people go to these extremely small sizes for the challenge and because it is a tank that can be set on a desktop or tabletop ;)

Salt4Us said:
Wow, would love to see Steve-S's 3/4 tank!!! :) Pics???

This pic was taken a little while ago. The macros have grown quite well (prunig alot) as well as fragging one stem of the cauliflower. Of which I will be fragging the other stem very soon. Here's the pic, I will post updated ones in a new thread soon.

Hey Steve, I seem to remember you were gonna get some montis for it (a blue one specifically), did it not work out, or did you simply not get one?

reefrunner69 said:
Hey Steve, I seem to remember you were gonna get some montis for it (a blue one specifically), did it not work out, or did you simply not get one?

I did get it, but I figured I would have better luck giving it some time in my 90g and then once large enough I am going to frag it and add that to the nano. Got the blue tip digitata growing quite a bit as well as a fluor green cap.

I shoud be able to do something in another month or so.

Didn't want to chance a "meltdown" and felt a home grown frag would stand a better chance in the smaller environment. I will try and follow up near the end of the summer.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom