Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome job! Is that all a balancing act?

Quote:
ScubaBaker, My lights are the Orbit 4x65 watt PC with moon lights. With the mounting legs, I don't have any problem with the temp. My tank is a 50 gal.
Same with me. They don't even seem to get hot enough to effect the tank. Is your fan working?

Quote:
Your tank would probably cycle faster with 30# of live rock from lr.com. You will also get all of the cool critters that come with live rock.
Except, a lot of them will die if you get an ammonia and nitrite spike. It would be way better to do both methods and be patient.

Live sand, water and shrimp. Wait a couple weeks, then LR.com! Get some base rock from them while you are at it. Also save money by calling, someone said we get a discount for being aa members.

Running the skimmer during cycling will not remove any junk, but it will oxygenate the water, and that will help the cycle complete faster.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As of now the fan still works great. I am worried that over time the fan may get salt creep buildup inside it where it can't be cleaned and will lock up.

Truly patients is the name of the game. I told myself from the beginning that I was going to take it slow.

50 gal tank, 2 MJ 900s, 1 MJ 400, WON Bros skimmer, Orbit 4x65 watt PC fixture, 50# base rock (now live), 60# live sand, 2 saddle back clowns, giant feather duster, colt coral, flame scallop, zoo frag, yellow toadstool, various crabs and snails.
claysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to tnscuba
clay thanks for the tidbit of information. are you in knoxville? i saw u mentioned a lfs was moving...any deals on tanks under 100gallons? i am in nashville.

def. want to buy from lr.com after seeing many posts about their great service and pictures of keys rocks.

still havent gotten the over whelming since to buy a skimmer since im going to only have a 55 or 75 gal tank. with under 30# of liverock.

tennessee
where is the closing lfs at? any phone ##'s
thanks aa
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #14

I am in Johnson City TN. That is about 1.5 hrs east of knoxville. The LFS I am talking about is in Bristol, TN. He is moving just down the street into a bigger place. I believe he has a 90 for sale, but I'm not sure.

I would definately get a good skimmer. I bought a cheap Won Brothers "Cleanup 75" which has worked well for me, but needs some tweaking from time to time. I would recommend a better one if you can afford it.

Clayton
Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #15

aw well do i neccessary need a skimmer..if i plan to run 75gal..sw mostly fish, maybe 30lb live rock from lr.com....im buying premixed RO sw from lfs and live sand from there too. going to have emperor 400 hob running and 2 , 200 watt heaters.

thanks tennessee

have you ever purchased any live fish on the web?
also. how long do you run ur lights? all day?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #16

I have only purchased cleanup crews online. I like to look at the fish I am going to purchase and watch them eat.

I run my lights a total of 12 hrs. The actinics come on at 8:00 a.m. and the white lights come on at 9:00 a.m. The white lights then go off at 7:00 p.m. and the actinics go off at 8:00 p.m. The moon lights stay on all the time.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
aw well do i neccessary need a skimmer..if i plan to run 75gal..sw mostly fish,

Yes, you will need a skimmer. I have only four fish in my 75, a good clean up crew, 80+ lbs of rock and my seaclone skimmer (which happens to really work crappier than normal all of a sudden) produces a lot of sludge.

Unless you want a lot of algea, cyano, high nitrate levels, low oxygen levels or to spend a lot of money on salt since you will need to do a lot of water changes.

The skimmer is way more important than the Emperor filter. IMO
Old 04-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #18

do u have this skimmer?
Seaclone Protein Skimmer, up to 100 Gallons

the lfs reccommend this to me, since im running less than 75gal sw setup, once i decide to invest.

i really dont want a sump or large rubbermaid box next to my tank...so will this skimmer, hos, work efficiently?

thanks

nashville
Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes, that is what I have. I have heard that they have made improvements since I bought mine. Mine works well at best. It seemed to do well for six months, then I moved it into a sump an it worked great. Now I can't ever seem to get it adjusted correct and I am not really getting much output through it.

I might take it all apart this weekend and see if there is something going on.

Type seaclone in the search box and see what you get. I know I have read many bad reviews and a couple pretty good ones. I personally would save the money to buy a better one now. Better ones are not that much more.

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com