Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pics of my 50 Gal...Finally

I've got pics of my 50 Gal finally. I have been wanting to take some and get them uploaded for some time now. This tank is about 7 months old now. It currently looks a little bare, but that will change over time. Currently there are two saddle back clowns, a small colt coral, a giant feather duster and a flame scallop in there along with various snails and hermits. I don't plan to add any more fish just coral.
I have a Won Brothers Cleanup 75 skimmer(which works quite well I must say), 2 maxi-jet 900s and one maxi-jet 400 for flow. For lighting I have an Orbit 4x65w PC fixture with moon lights.
I enjoy seeing pics you all post and the different setups, so here's mine.

Clayton

Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks good keep up the good work.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to tnscuba
great

still a newbie to sw--but did you get ur rock from liverocks.com? how many #'s is that? im lookin @ 55gal set up, and want about that much rock. thanks

tennessee
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
Looks good
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #5

Thanks!

tnscuba, no these rocks came from petsolutions.com. I bought their 50# box of base rock and used 30# of live sand and 30# of dry sand. The cycle took a long time but it saved me a lot of money in the long run. 50# of base rock from petsolutions is $40 and shipping is cheap because it can come regular ground.

Clayton
Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lot's of room for on the top for corals to grow high. Plenty of space between rocks and glass for good flow to keep the dietrus suspended. Lots of open sand for corals and clams. Shaded area for low light or non-photosynthic corals. Good aquascaping design. I give the aquascaping an A+
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to tnscuba
clay tyhanks for teh response.
so would it be better fo my to just order 30# of live keys rock from liverock.com and start my cycle that way?
or can i add 1 shrimp and 30#liverock to start cycle?

thanks

tn

do i need a skimmer for 30# live rocks
?
thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming
Old 04-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

hi i like your tank. i was wondering what type of lighting you have one top of your tank. i have a orbit 4x96 watt PC light. and i am have trouble with water temp raising.
what size tank do you have?
thanks michael
Old 04-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #10

tnscuba, Your tank would probably cycle faster with 30# of live rock from lr.com. You will also get all of the cool critters that come with live rock. I went the dry rock and dead shrimp route because it was cheaper. It took what seemed like a very long time to cycle that way. As far as the skimmer, I would run it. I didn't run one for about 3 months and the nutrients in my tank got a little out of hand.

ScubaBaker, My lights are the Orbit 4x65 watt PC with moon lights. With the mounting legs, I don't have any problem with the temp. My tank is a 50 gal.

With my lighting setup I have probably limited myself on some corals I can keep, but I don't plan on keeping and SPS and probably only select LPS; mostly softies and that sort of stuff. I wish I could keep a clam but that is probably out of the question also. If someone thinks that it is possible for me to be able to keep one, let me know because my lfs is moving and has some KILLER deals on his coral and clams.

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com