pics of new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally put LR in tank on saturday. We went to lfs that is 90mins away not so local, but it was worth the drive. We were impressed with the store. It is located in herndon, va. Anyway here is pic of my 75g tank. We bought 80lbs of lr. Mixture of figi, tonga, and coraline. Here is pic. Click on it and you can see the rock up close. Tell me what you think.

Very nice! I like that substrate. I think I have been to the one in Herndon, about 15 years ago. It was pretty big.

Weird, I tried to click on th pic, but my employer's filter kicked in, blocked it and said it was adult content. Hmmm. Where did you get that rock again????? I think I want some now. :roll:

Seriously though. Looks good from what I can see. Didja put it on the botom of the tank or just on top of the sand? Important if you ever get sand burrowing or moving critters.

Doing your cycle now?

You might see if you can arrange it with more swim through areas. Fish like those.

Where in VA are you?

I put the rock ontop of sand. Is that okay? I didn't think it would be safe to have rock right on glass bottom. The lfs I went to has a website, marinescene.com. I live in fredericksburg, va. I will try to repost pics using the gallery feature.

OK on top of the sand if you never get any critter that likes under the rocks. Sand sifting or shrimp gobies and pistol shrimps are fun to have, but if they move sand under the rocks, it'll topple'm and there'll be trouble. Crushing critters or rock avalanches that can break glass.

It is totally safe to put rock on the glass bottom. They'll never bump the bottom. I have mine on the botom of the glass and even stacked on the back wall.

Got a decent LFS near me in Ft. Washington MD. If you ever want to venture there, lemme know. I can meetcha there and show you around. It might be just a bit shorter drive than that 1 1/2 hrs you did. Even from there, another 45 minute drive to Blen Burnie, where you'll find aquacultured live rock with plenty of life.

Good luck.

melosu58 is from the Richmond area, you may want to PM, for closer LFSs. I didn't use glue on mine, I just gently sifted the rock down in the sand.

No glue. Just turn'm and twist'm into a plac where they seem to lock together. just give it a pluck and a push with the finger. If they don't move, that means you'll probably never have any critters stron enuf to move'm. Besides, lots of folks end up re-aquascaping later anyway.

It helps to put the rock on the glass bottom because it gives you a few more options down the line. If you are just setting up now, then now is the best time to do it. You can get a type of clay to hold your rocks but you really dont need it. Just move it around until it feels stable.

Besides, lots of folks end up re-aquascaping later anyway

Definately!

SCRMOM we have some nice places in Richmond about an hour away from you. By the way that is some nice rock. Your tank looks great.

Thanks. What are the name of some places that you would recommend? I am pretty familiar with Richmond and we have a Richmond map so we shouldn't have problem finding the places. Thanks in advance.

Fish World--Busy Street
Richmond Aquarium -- Speeks dr

Both of them are within 10 mins of each other in Chesterfield

Back
Top Bottom