Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
nice, where did you get the rock from???

Message to all aquariasts!!!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
With 5 day shipped rock, you might see a nasty cycle. I had a batch that had some hitchhiker clams that died and it stunk up my whole house.

Good that you removed the star. They do not like varying water quality changes for sure.

Good luck. Hitchhiker crabs are very hardy, IMO.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
You shouldve done a fishless cycle. Chances are that starfish will die, and maybe the clowns as well.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to pufferman
is that a little ocellaris clown i see? I dont if that fish could stand an ammonia spike either.
30 gallon SW tank;EHEIM ECCO 2235 Canister Filter w/Miracle-Working Chemi-Pure
TetraTec UV1 UV Sterilizer;Rio 50 Powerhead ;130w PC lighting;33 Lbs. of Tonga Branch LR;Nature's Ocean Live Sand (the bagged stuff)
Livestock:2-Ocellaris Clownfish;9-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs;1-Regal Tang;Zoanthids, Pineapple Brain coral, Sebae Anemone, Colt Coral, Galaxea
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
Old 08-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know what an oscellaris is, but I do have a clown. I put him in QT as well. All are doing fine. I'm not getting a huge spike. The rock was supposedly cured, and there has been no odor coming from the tank. The crab has been the only hitchhiker I've seen, but who knows? Hopefully I got more...I find the live rock more interesting than the fish!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
You can not go by smell, My tank did not smell when I used LR to cycle.. Keep up with the tests for amm, nitrite and nitrate..
you did not mention it was cured LR before, did you??
you may still get a small amm spike and if it's cured lr it should go away quickly...
Look at night a few hours after lights out and you may see more critters...
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
Old 08-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by missusliz
The rock was supposedly cured
But then it was shipped for five days (yikes!). You'll very likely get an spike in ammo.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #18
First of all you are going way to fast.

In case any of you know this tank is like a week or so old, she just got it (Might be 2 weeks).

So there is no way it couldve done a cycle. EX with nothing to jump start it exept that rock (Which 5 days shipping you will havea BIG spike) and those clowns. Clowns cannnot survive a cycle.

Your best hope is to do like we suggested before you got the tank. Get some shrimp, put them in there, take the clowns back for credit (so when they die you wont be out money)

Not a big cycle? This takes time. In a big tank like that it is not unusual for it to take a month or longer. In my small 30 gallon it took 2-3 weeks.

As far as your QT, QTs have to cycle as well. QTs have to match the same water chemistry as your main tank, wich since your tank is still cycling, is not possible. QT those fish did not do anything (and being you just got the tank, the fish didnt stay long enough in QT for it to do anything.)

Your best hope/bet is #1 FOLLOW WHAT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED HERE. You had a thread in the Getting Started about this. It was suggested you remove the CC, but you didnt. Eventually the CC will work its way to the top anyway, and then you have to clean it, and all the mess that goes along with CC.

Also suggested was fishless cycle. Saves you more money (like two dead clowns, and a dead starfish).

A suggestion to you is buy a Phosban reactor. Like me I have cyano (a nasty read algea. It is covering my corals so they cannot get light, and killing them). If I would have gotten a phosban reactor I dont think this would have happened.

Sorry to sound mean but you asked what needs to be done and you didnt do it. I think you are just jumping the gun, excited about a SW tank. Take it slow.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In case any of you don't know, Zac has already been kicked off of our ponding website...It got so bad, they started an entire thread on him. He accuses everyone of not taking his bogus advice, then he turns around and does the same thing here. Zac, just got done reading your "Dying Corals" thread, seems you are guilty again, eh? Bug off and stop PM'ing me, you freak.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus
Both of these posts were reported by members of our community. FWIW, I dind't see anything reportable or actionable in Zack's post. This last one though....

Missusliz, if you are being harrassed via pm, please send the offending text to me or to fishfreek via PM and we will handle it, one way or another. It's not necessary at this stage to call someone out on the board. FWIW, I really don't care what happens on other forums, just this one, bringing up dirty laundry from another forum isn't really kosher here.

Any more of this type posting and this thread will be closed.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Closed Thread

pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com