Pics of tank today, got my LR this afternoon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missusliz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So excited. The rock didn't have any odor to it, so in it went! Here are some pics. Got a little side stepping crab with the shipment, can't believe he survived. Unbelievable. It took five days to get here from Florida.

img_463820_0_498dabbeebb6ac6a6b27038eccd629f4.jpg

img_463820_1_6bb9430f8bfa6d5e1a818f46abd9e0ed.jpg

Looks great! (y)

I've had mantis shrimp, isopods, starfish, crabs, snails, worms, nudibranches, shrimp, coral, sponges, aptasia, majano anemones, urchins and tunicates.

Looks good... its all new LR?
keep an eye on the ammonia for the next week incase you get some die off and a cycle starts. i see you have a linkia star, keep a eye on him if you get the ammonia..

i see you have a linkia star, keep a eye on him if you get the ammonia..
Look for what? I don't know how they should behave, so any tips on what to look for would help. Thanks!

Look for what?
By the time it showed symptoms it would probably be too late. Having said that, tissue necrosis and falling would be the most evident signs. You should monitor/test for ammonia and nitrite daily for a few days as seaham said also. If you do get some ammo/trite, start doing large PWC's. LR should be quarantined and/or cured before going into a tank w/ fish and inverts. Keep an eye on that crab too, most can do some real damage including eating fish. Good luck

Thanks, that helps. I will keep an eye on my lil' crab. He is so tiny right now, no threat for quite a while yet. I will enjoy him while I can! :p

Ooooh, it looks like I have little coral fragments, too. Those will probably die off due to my lack of sufficient lighting, eh?

depending on your lights and type of coarl, yes it may die..
If you get ammonia you should QT the linkia until its gone, thats what I should have posted... Try not to touch the linkia with your bare hands either.. Oils from the skin can harm them.
Taking it back to the LFS to hold may be something to think about it you get a cycle with the new LR.
Is all the LR new???

Yes, its new
I took him out and put him in the qt, thanks for that advice!
I am getting a little cycle.

With 5 day shipped rock, you might see a nasty cycle. I had a batch that had some hitchhiker clams that died and it stunk up my whole house.

Good that you removed the star. They do not like varying water quality changes for sure.

Good luck. Hitchhiker crabs are very hardy, IMO.

You shouldve done a fishless cycle. Chances are that starfish will die, and maybe the clowns as well.

I don't know what an oscellaris is, but I do have a clown. I put him in QT as well. All are doing fine. I'm not getting a huge spike. The rock was supposedly cured, and there has been no odor coming from the tank. The crab has been the only hitchhiker I've seen, but who knows? Hopefully I got more...I find the live rock more interesting than the fish! :)

You can not go by smell, My tank did not smell when I used LR to cycle.. Keep up with the tests for amm, nitrite and nitrate..
you did not mention it was cured LR before, did you??
you may still get a small amm spike and if it's cured lr it should go away quickly...
Look at night a few hours after lights out and you may see more critters...

First of all you are going way to fast.

In case any of you know this tank is like a week or so old, she just got it (Might be 2 weeks).

So there is no way it couldve done a cycle. EX with nothing to jump start it exept that rock (Which 5 days shipping you will havea BIG spike) and those clowns. Clowns cannnot survive a cycle.

Your best hope is to do like we suggested before you got the tank. Get some shrimp, put them in there, take the clowns back for credit (so when they die you wont be out money)

Not a big cycle? This takes time. In a big tank like that it is not unusual for it to take a month or longer. In my small 30 gallon it took 2-3 weeks.

As far as your QT, QTs have to cycle as well. QTs have to match the same water chemistry as your main tank, wich since your tank is still cycling, is not possible. QT those fish did not do anything (and being you just got the tank, the fish didnt stay long enough in QT for it to do anything.)

Your best hope/bet is #1 FOLLOW WHAT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED HERE. You had a thread in the Getting Started about this. It was suggested you remove the CC, but you didnt. Eventually the CC will work its way to the top anyway, and then you have to clean it, and all the mess that goes along with CC.

Also suggested was fishless cycle. Saves you more money (like two dead clowns, and a dead starfish).

A suggestion to you is buy a Phosban reactor. Like me I have cyano (a nasty read algea. It is covering my corals so they cannot get light, and killing them). If I would have gotten a phosban reactor I dont think this would have happened.

Sorry to sound mean but you asked what needs to be done and you didnt do it. I think you are just jumping the gun, excited about a SW tank. Take it slow.

In case any of you don't know, Zac has already been kicked off of our ponding website...It got so bad, they started an entire thread on him. He accuses everyone of not taking his bogus advice, then he turns around and does the same thing here. Zac, just got done reading your "Dying Corals" thread, seems you are guilty again, eh? Bug off and stop PM'ing me, you freak.

Both of these posts were reported by members of our community. FWIW, I dind't see anything reportable or actionable in Zack's post. This last one though....

Missusliz, if you are being harrassed via pm, please send the offending text to me or to fishfreek via PM and we will handle it, one way or another. It's not necessary at this stage to call someone out on the board. FWIW, I really don't care what happens on other forums, just this one, bringing up dirty laundry from another forum isn't really kosher here.

Any more of this type posting and this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom