Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

picture of my first rookie 55gal tank

you guys think this is enough rock to filter this tank(55gal)? Any suggestions for me? I plan on getting my first bubble coral in two weeks from today and then adding my first fish in another couple weeks. Just want to make sure I have enough rock, but that stuff is so **** expensive! I have 30 or so lbs. of rock now.

http://www.wiki-reef.com
jarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
you guys think this is enough rock to filter this tank(55gal)?
Quote:
I have 30 or so lbs. of rock now.
No, for filtration purposes...a minimum of 1 lb per gallon is required, unless you only plan on adding one or two very small fish. However...you appear to have a DSB, which may make up for it

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:59 PM   #3

ouch, so another 100 bucks on live rock?

Old 12-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
In my 55 I run 120lbs rock... Helps tremendously with stability..
Old 12-28-2003, 01:51 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to colorblindpicas
I’m starting to sound like a Shill for Garf (they don’t pay me... I swear!=) )... but if you want to add filtration without adding rock try Garf Grunge at http://www.garf.org/. It won’t make up for adding more rock, but it will certainly help with bio filtration, and reduce the amount of LR you’ll have to buy. But as reefrunner said, I’d still try to hit at least 1/gal, if not more.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

We've noticed as we've begun to buy corals at our LFS that they come on a piece of LR (sometimes of reasonable size), and we didn't allow for that. If you are going to stock up slowly and not buy all your corals last, that may help.

Also, I noticed that you did what all the books say and left plenty of room on all sides, between the rock and the glass. We did the same thing. Now we've noticed that all the display tanks at our LFS have rock all the way against the glass in the back, resulting in more room for the fish and coral in front. I wish we'd done it that way.

May I also suggest applying a dark backing (black or navy) against the back of your tank.

Finally, I'd replace the glass heater with a titanium one and if you're going to have a sump, which I assume you will with a 55 GAL, move it there.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont fret about it just yet. I set up my tank one rock at a time and Id buy corals on rocks and then pick up a hunk of LR and a coral. My friend thought I was insane getting excited over a rock with a hitchhiker. I now have 70 lbs of rock and more coral then I can fit. I did it slow and that way it wont make any of your levels crasy, just slightly higher. Plus its fun to a least see a start in the progress of competion, If there is such a thing with this hobby ...
Old 12-28-2003, 01:09 PM   #8

do i have to get a sump? What's the drawback in not having one?

doing it slow is a great idea, that is cool to know that I can do that.

I will move my LR to the back of the tank now, thanks.

Tags
55 gallon, picture, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com