Piece of coral from Mexico.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briandh76

Aquarium Advice Regular
A buddy of mine went scuba diving in cancun and brought me back some coral that he found (dead of course :cry: ). I was wondering If I could just pop it into the tank or should I rinse it off real good? The is nothing on it that I could see except some sand.

Thanks!

if it doesnt smell like stuff is dying on it it should be fine! Give it a good rinse!

i did the same thing rinsed it real good and i boiled in water for a while mine hasent harm any thing yet so do what you think is best

Could put in in a bucket with water and a bit of bleach over night. Then rinse it in a buck of fresh water over night.

You should be fine though.

Bah!!!! I got home from work today and my wife had just popped into the tank. So I took it back out. I think I will boil it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. She said it had been in there for an hour or so.... :oops:

I'm glad my wife won't even feed the fish......

I wouldn't bleach something that has pores. I am paranoid though. I am hoping to go to the gulf this summer. I may have to pick up something myself.

Would it be a bad idea to pick up hermit shells that are washed up?

my sister and brother in law just went to mexico and picked up some pieces that where about 20-30 feet out while they were diving and i just plopped mine right into my tank, they weren't anything to big and i haven't noticed any change.

Back
Top Bottom