Pistol Shrimp / Goby Relationship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just read about this symbiotic relationship, and it sounds pretty cool, however, I wonder to what extent it takes place in a tank? If I read correctly the shrimp digs holes for the goby, and the goby (with better eyesight) warns the shrimp of danger. Is this accurate, is it cool to watch, and does it happen to any great extent in a tank?

Thats the jist of it.

Now the catch is this. Will the shrimp dig a hole where you can easily observe it? Will the goby take to the hole the shrimp digs?

And most importantly...

Will the shrimp stop at digging just 1 hole?

I have two yellow gobies in my tank and I put a pistol in my tank. The pistol will landscape the sand bed how it wants. Every day expect the substrate to be piled up differently. Also make sure any rocks you have are very well barried. My pistol has dug down to the very bottom of the tank. Seems like I have seen my pistol maybe 3 times in 3 months cause it seems to not like to dig where you can see it.

Educate me on pistol shrimp in general, then... do they eat detrius? What's this I'm reading about they make some kind of noise? Would they be compatible with a cleaner shrimp, decorator crab, anemone crab, emerald crab, blue leg reef hermit crab, and tiger tail cuke?

My cuke already moves the sand around in an annoying fashion. I might as well have all the other things that do that that interest me. :)

Back
Top Bottom