placement of my hydor koralia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tomorrow's the big day. Setting up my first salt water tank. Did tons of research. Found lots of advice on this site. thanks to everyone. I guess it's time to dive in...sort of speak..lol My question is, where do I place my powerhead in the tank? Does it go lower in the tank shooting straight at the rocks, or do I place it higher pointing down in the tank?

I put all of mine in the upper 1/4 of the tank and angle them very slightly up (slightly to where its not obviously pointed up just a little elevation). Usually about 5-6" below the surface to keep really good surface agitation.

I have a 20 gallon high. I'm running a hob filter just for some added agitation and also a skimmer
There really isn't much need for a hob filter if you're running a skimmer. I always seem to have better results in the upper range of my tank for placement. Keeps the sand bed from blowing around as well

Thanks..So a HOB filter is kind of a waste of space in my tank ? I figured it couldn't hurt for extra filtration but one less thing hanging off the back would be nice.

Thanks..So a HOB filter is kind of a waste of space in my tank ? I figured it couldn't hurt for extra filtration but one less thing hanging off the back would be nice.

If you only have 1 powerhead then keep the hob filter for the extra flow. I have 2 koralia powerheads in my 20h reef and its barely enough circulation for what I want.

When it comes to powerheads I like running at least 2 on opposite ends of the tank. On my 55g I ran 3 all rated over 1000gph on a wave maker for random flow. When I upgraded to my 90g it wasn't enough and now run 2 vortech mp40. I kept mine in the top 3rd of the tank pointed so as to maximize flow patterns. One can't reliably tell another how to place and aim them, it's all personal and varies for your tank inhabitants. For example sps requires more and random flow where as softies require less. Rock work changes flow also. It's something you will have to tinker with to keep your personal tank inhabitants happy. I will however recommend that you avoid wasting money on puny little powerheads and buy them based on what you plan to do. If it's sps you plan to keep once your tank matures then keep that in mind buying powerheads, don't go buy the highest flow ones either but focus on getting the desired flow based on what you plan to do. For FOWLR you want minimum 10x tank volume in flow so on a 20 gallon tank you want at least 200gph total combined flow. For softies and LPS you want at least 20x flow so on the same tank you want minimum 400 GPH total. For sps you want at least 30x flow, so you would want at least 600 GPH total. With that in mind you can properly size your powerheads. If you start with 2 powerheads rated about 200-250 GPH you would be able to keep most things alive and happy and be able to get a good flow pattern. Then when you jump to keeping sps just add a 3rd similarly rated pump and run it on a basic timer to get random flow.

When it comes to filtration I would skip the HOB filter especially if you have a skimmer. Filters tend to be a hot debate in reef keeping due to their trapping detritus. With this they require frequent cleaning to remove waste and other build up before it starts to decay which creates ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. A skimmer will accomplish this same function however it completely removes the detritus and waste from the water column into the collection cup which you then simply dump and rinse. If you need added surface agitation just aim a powerhead up a little, if it's for adding oxygen to the water column then it's not needed since a skimmer agitates the water with air oxygenating far more than a filter would.

Thanks.
I think I'll ditch the HOB and get another powerhead. The Hydor I have is rated at 240gph so I will get another for the other side of the tank. Just set it up today. Here's a picture. Live sand and base rock. Guess it will look better once I get some coralline growing on the rocks.

Attachments

• tank 007.jpg
    tank 007.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 167
Looks good. If your anything like the rest of us you will probably spend some time fine tuning your rock work till you find something you really like so keep a towel near the tank.

When I set up my 55g I moved it around a lot. With my 90 I haven't oddly, I am happy with the rock scape in there for now but time will tell. Keep up the good work and most importantly be patient and research things before you add them.

Back
Top Bottom