Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question placing dry rock directly into established tank?

I just order 50 lbs of dry rock from marcorocks.com to fill my 60 gallon tank. Now my question is...can I directly add this rock to my already running tank? Tank has been up for about ten months with about 50-60 lbs of sand and about 30 lbs of live rock. I plan to put like 40 more pounds. Would it be safe since there os not going to be any die off releasong ammonia into the tank?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless you completely trust the seller I would highly suggest you rinse them then soak them in RO water for 24hrs first and test the water to make sure they don't make any wild water parameter swings.

You're right, you shouldn't have to worry about ammonia. PH would probably be your biggest concern.

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure.. so instead of sticking all 50 lbs into some RO water to see if ph is affected, i should be able to do the same with just a few pounds rather then all 50 lbs?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would do all 50lbs. The main reason is because it'll be that 1 little piece that you didn't check that will effect your tank.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Did you get the CURED rock from them. Their rock has a long history of being full of dead organics. As soon it is re-hydrated it the organic material decays causing ammonia.

I would rehydrate all of it outside the tank and test the water for ammonia a day or two later.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would definitely test all the rocks outside the tank. Adding another 50lbs to a 60G tank? How much rock is already in it. Adding 50lbs to a running 60G will not leave all that much water left in it.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the rock says pre cured and not sure exacctly what that means... no I will not be adding all 50 pounds.. I currently has about 25-30 pounds and plan to add like 30-40 more pounds or so.. I just ordered the 50lb package to atleast have more of variety of rock to choose from...so when I place all the rock I will use in another container should I only test for ammonia for couple days? Can it be done in just fresh water? Or do I have to cure it like live rock for weeks?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry meant to say Not sure what pre cured means with dry rock by the way.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

50 Pound box Key Largo Rock, <br>Now Pre Cured and Free Shipping <br>*in the continental US* - DS-50
That is what I purchased.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just order a 25 lb box of pre-cured from them... I was wondering the same thing (soak for a few days/week or add directly)... I'll be adding the 25 lbs to a 55 gallon that has about 35 lbs of live rock in it already... no live stock yet... just live rock and hitch hikers... let us know the condition of their "pre-cured" rock when you get it.

Tags
dry, dry rock, established tank, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com