Placing rock on PVC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read a thread once where rocks were installed on top of a PVC frame. I cannot remember the thread and wish I'd bookmarked it. I read another where 1 1/2" PVC lengths were cut 1/2" to 1" taller than the sand bed. Holes were drilled into the PVC and they were placed down in the sand bed so that a 1/2" to 1" was sticking out. The rocks were then placed on top of the PVC pipes. Rocks sitting on top of egg crates, on the tank bottom with the sand added afterwards, and rocks placed directly on top of the sand beds.

I'm looking for the best installation of rock. Any ideas/suggestions/reccommendations? What's the best way? I want to hear how everyone has installed their rock.

I remember that PVC post also. I'll poke around later tonight and see if I can find it. The point was, if I remember right, to not make any "dead" spots under the rock.

Personally, I put my rocks on the bottom of the tank - bare glass - and then put in a 3" sand bed. With the way I did my aquascaping (a couple "towers), I did NOT want to risk the chance of a rockslide.

Not sure you'll find a "best way". I think this is like that "what's the best salt" question! :lol:

I just put mine on top of the sand and pushed it down and then stacked rock on top giving it the pressurized finger test to make sure it was steady.LOL I do remember that post though

Yes, I believe the idea was not to have any dead spots under the rocks.

If you have an acrylic tank you can use acrylic rods as posts to hold up live rock in any formation you see fit.

My rock is on top of my sand bed...I just wiggled the base rocks a bit to get them into the sand and then went from there....

I actually just built a PVC frame for my LR. I didn't drill any holes in it since I used a lot of it (about 10-12 feet of it) and was concerned about water getting in there and becoming stagnant. Keep in mind, the sealed PVC WILL float, so it makes it a little harder to work with and needs to be weighted down. I am planning on attaching the rock with plastic zip ties (don't get the ones that have metal in them). I just made a random looking frame. I will have a post as soon as I am done adding the rock.

roka64 said:
...I am planning on attaching the rock with plastic zip ties (don't get the ones that have metal in them).

Oooooooooh... you're right - some of those DO have little metal tabs in the clicker part. I'd never thought of that. Glad I never used the bag I bought when I aquascaped as that never even crossed my mind.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to seeing the pics Roka and moreso pics of your new setup including sump.

Again, there was a post in the past where the thread starter had pictures and everything. It was a great post. I'm mad at myself for not bookmarking it. Just when you need it most you can't find it.

Thanks again all.

When I set up my 120g, I covered the entire bottom of the tank with eggcrate to prevent the liverock which has many jagged and pointy edges from creating a high pressure point from the 200lbs of stacked rock and damaging the bottom glass. This also prevents rock slides from the rock settling with time from burrowing tank inhabitants like snails..etc. Then I stacked the rock on top of the eggcrate and placed all the Aragonite substrate around the outside of the rock and any area's near the perimeter of the pile that could easily be filled in to hide the eggcrate. This way there is a slight space under most of the rock and the water flow through the rock pile removes any built up detitus. It also creates a look of underground caves which many of my smaller fish like to call home.

Back
Top Bottom