Plain old beach sand for my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't see paying lfs prices for plain sand. Can't find suitable sand at HD here in so-cal either.

Setting up my new 120 gal and was wondering, can I take a walk down the street, through the shore break into maybe 6' of water and scoop up some sand for my tank?

I can tell you how others have answered this question before...
The sand at the beach is the "dirtiest" sand. If you're gonna use it for your tank it's best to go out deep and take the sand from there.

I can't honestly say that I know you can't use the beach sand. Just repeating what I've read before.

If you do that, I would bleach the sand, dry it, and then soak it in water for a few days before adding it to your tank. If what you're looking for is just plain sand, than that may work.

If that's the case, brodie, couldn't I just do that with any sand? Wondering about just buying any fine playsand from HD and doing that.

Negative. Alot of playsands have high amounts of Silicates in them, which isn't good for a reef tank. You need sand that has a calcium base..

All sand has some silicates. The problem with using play sand is it offers no buffering and has sharper edges than aragnite sand. It is not good for bottom dwellers. Several people do use it though. If you do not want to pay for "aquarium" sand and with the other options you presented.... :soap: If it were me I would wait to low tide and go out as far as you can and get the sand. Bring it back and wash it. Put it in a container to soak for several days. (stir it daily). Then dump it out somewhere to dry for several days. (Do not let it rain on it) This will get rid of the "hitch hikers" and most of the pollution. Check your local laws about removing sand from the beach. I am sure a ticket is more than several bags of sand.

Back
Top Bottom