Planning 30 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettafanatic said:
I have a quick question about cycling. Because I have live rock, do I still have to dose ammonia or should I just let the live rocks cycle the tank?

Yes live rock always comes with die off unless the switch has very little air exposure. Of it had little die off the cycle will he very short and you Bacteria colonies will be strengthened in numbers and rdy to go. Dosing ammonia will probably be the easiest way to track. Just dose up to 4ppn and go from there.

Ok got it. That's usually what I do. Im usually very successful with that method. My last cycle only took 20 days! It was a miracle After my three month long Betta fish tank cycle. I might start this tank early because of the nitrate problems in my current fowlr tank (you already know about those, though) so I might get to begin gathering supplies soon if I can't control those trates.

By the way, what about LEDs for lighting? I was just reading a forum on them and apparently they're really good lights. What would your opinion be?

Bettafanatic said:
By the way, what about LEDs for lighting? I was just reading a forum on them and apparently they're really good lights. What would your opinion be?

Absolutely LED's are the way to go the only con compared to other forms of lighting is usually the upfront cost but easily pay for themselves over the years with no bulb replacement, low heat and low power consumptions. Also (most) have the ability to grow pretty much anything you want.

Sounds good. Do you never have to replace the bulbs? Or every few years or so? If so I'll probably look into those. Apparently the wattage and everything is different so how many watts per gallon am I looking for with LEDs?

Bettafanatic said:
Sounds good. Do you never have to replace the bulbs? Or every few years or so? If so I'll probably look into those. Apparently the wattage and everything is different so how many watts per gallon am I looking for with LEDs?

They have a 50,000 hr lifespan. For typical use that means 5-10 years. Wattage is a little more tricky with LED's. For price many around here will recommend taeotronics fixture although i have no experience with them. Your best off getting strong leds like 3w each but dimmable so you can fine-tune the intensity. Im sure other who use LEDs over a 30 can point you in the right direction.

I would suggest the aquatic life fixture instead. It has single reflectors so it will make better use of the same power over coralife fixture. But coralife also works well I hear. The cost differance is only 10-20$ so just food for thought.

I would suggest the aquatic life fixture instead. It has single reflectors so it will make better use of the same power over coralife fixture. But coralife also works well I hear. The cost differance is only 10-20$ so just food for thought.

Kk thanks for your input! I'll look into it.

I have a white and red one. Very neat, I don't feed phytoplankton but I probably should

MBliss81 said:
I have a 39g reef tank with a two bulb t5 HO light fixture. I have been running Coralife bulbs (came with the Coralife fixture) and keeping a favites brain coral for over a year with good results. Good luck.

First of all, to utes. I have the same lights on my 30g reef, it's still pretty new and I only have zoas and a branching hammer. It's good to hear the lights work well for you, mine seem to be good too. I might add some spot lighting or supplement with something else some day.

Back
Top Bottom