Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #11

Oh okay well then I think I'll stick around the fire fish, goby, and cardinal. Are you sure I can't add any more fish? In freshwater you can usually have a few more in a 10g despite how small it is. Do saltwater fish add more ammonia or something?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saltwater fish are more fragile and they need more room to swim. They get stressed easier, i mean think about it, most of the fish were pulled from the ocean and are shoved in the same tank. To give you a guideline i am only putting 5 fish in my 30 gallon reef and they are all small fish. I have had only 2 fish in there for 3 months. Trust me im not pulling your leg

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #13

Oh okay I trust you I'm just used to freshwater rules.

Thank you so much for all the advice. You've been really helpful!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha that article said they are fine in 5 gallons and up! They are perfect for nano reef tanks i would definitly get one... And MAYBE a clown fish and a clown goby explore the options, there are many!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

pjs get too big for a 10g. They're small at first, but i've usually seen them at 3 inches or more fully grown. False (fancy) Ocelaris clowns could be the right size, but they don't tend to pair or host, so the normal "clown" stuff is bred right out of them. Shrimp, Snails (or hermits), clown goby (awesome fish btw). Watchmen goby, maybe a firefish. That would be it. Now, upgrade to a twenty long, and you can have a lot more fun
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

Oh nvm i read it wrong. Hahaha I feel stupid :P. Ooh I love clownfish I think I'll go for a fire fish, clown goby, and clownfish. I edited the link out of my last post because I saw that I read it wrong. Ok I think Ive got my stocking list all set.

Just one more important question: how do I make the water salty? Oh, and will normal dechlorimator work here too?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
pjs get too big for a 10g. They're small at first, but i've usually seen them at 3 inches or more fully grown. False (fancy) Ocelaris clowns could be the right size, but they don't tend to pair or host, so the normal "clown" stuff is bred right out of them. Shrimp, Snails (or hermits), clown goby (awesome fish btw). Watchmen goby, maybe a firefish. That would be it. Now, upgrade to a twenty long, and you can have a lot more fun
Lol while your at it why not upgrade to a 200 gallon long? Haha thats how it always goes so have we found a nice stock?
1 firefish
1 occ clown
1 clown goby
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 hermits
5 snails

This is just what i think.....
Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
I'm good with just that. I don't think my mom would let me do 20 she says I have to many fish. I only have 4 bettas right now . I just want to see if I'm successful with so something small first. I think I'll do a 100-200g in the future that would be fun!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Lol while your at it why not upgrade to a 200 gallon long? Haha thats how it always goes so have we found a nice stock?
1 firefish
1 occ clown
1 clown goby
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 hermits
5 snails

This is just what i think.....
That sounds perfect! Thank you so much. My LPS doesn't sell hermits so I might skip those
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree with most of what nu-nu says. Clownfish will be fine for this tank. I would recommend them as one of the first to go in there, as long as you let it cycle and do the 10+ pounds of live rock. I have kept a clownfish and a yellow watchman/ pistol shrimp pair in a 3 gal for 7 months now and they are happy and healthy. Firefish will be good, as long as it is covered, they WILL jump. You can have more fish than most people recommend, as long as you let the tank establish itself. You can do 2-3 fish + clean-up crew in the first 6 weeks. After 6 months you can do another 1 or 2, as long as you keep up with water changes and they are compatable. Just make sure they are small. Royal gramma, scooter blenny, hover line, clown goby or shrimp goby (1 or the other), maybe a six line wrasse, cardinal, pseudochromis, and a few other good fish would work. Along with some real cool shrimp and crabs.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com