Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #61

Okay, I think my LFS sells yellow watchmen gobies but I'm not sure, I'll check tomorrow because I have to get a saltwater test kit. lol i forgot to get one and am feeling stupid :P

Okay, so everything is all set up. I put in two live rocks and two caves, and a few smaller stones. Got white sand, a nice ocean background, and a really good quiet filter that filters 110 gallons per hour. Temperature is 80 degrees and salinity is between 1.020 and 1.2021 is that a good level?

A question about salinity. If I wanted to raise it a couple of numbers, would I add a lot of salt or only a little? How much, exactly, for a ten gallon if I wanted it at 1.023 because I was told that's a good amount. Also, once the tank is cycled and I've added the invertebrates, can I add all the fish at once? I don't think so but just wondering.

And if my LFS doesn't sell gobies at all, would another clown do? I like tomato clowns do those fit in a 10g? If not, any other suggestions?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafanatic
Okay, I think my LFS sells yellow watchmen gobies but I'm not sure, I'll check tomorrow because I have to get a saltwater test kit. lol i forgot to get one and am feeling stupid :P

Okay, so everything is all set up. I put in two live rocks and two caves, and a few smaller stones. Got white sand, a nice ocean background, and a really good quiet filter that filters 110 gallons per hour. Temperature is 80 degrees and salinity is between 1.020 and 1.2021 is that a good level?

A question about salinity. If I wanted to raise it a couple of numbers, would I add a lot of salt or only a little? How much, exactly, for a ten gallon if I wanted it at 1.023 because I was told that's a good amount. Also, once the tank is cycled and I've added the invertebrates, can I add all the fish at once? I don't think so but just wondering.

And if my LFS doesn't sell gobies at all, would another clown do? I like tomato clowns do those fit in a 10g? If not, any other suggestions?
Haha okay sounds great! You want your salinity at .025-.026. So you need to raise it a bit. What you need to do is whenever you do a top off make sure the water is at .025 and slowly your salinity will rise to exactly that. Once it is .025 ONLY top off with fresh RO water. Remember salt doesnt evaporate, only water does so that salt in your tank isnt going anywhere for the most part. When you add to your tank add your hermits and snails first, then wait a week and add a shrimp. Wait a week and add a fish. Wait 2-3 weeks and add another fish. Etc. never add fish or inverts too fast because this could add too much waste into the system and mess up your cycle. Your lfs HAS to sell gobys... They are pretty common. If they dont for some crazy reason i dont suggest getting another clown, much less a tomato clown. One clown is enough for a 10 gallon tank and ot has to be an occ clown. Tomato clowns get huge and are super agressive... Scratch that off the list!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #63

Aw shame about the tomato clowns. Oh well! So I'll add another teaspoon of salt in the morning to raise the salinity. Cycling will start tomorrow once I get a kit.

Ikr my LFS is pretty messed up. I will have to ask if they sell any other gobies because i dont recall seeing any.

And when adding another fish, I have to quarantine it for like a month, right? Or for just two weeks?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Aw shame about the tomato clowns. Oh well! So I'll add another teaspoon of salt in the morning to raise the salinity. Cycling will start tomorrow once I get a kit.

Ikr my LFS is pretty messed up. I will have to ask if they sell any other gobies because i dont recall seeing any.

And when adding another fish, I have to quarantine it for like a month, right? Or for just two weeks?
I think you'll need 1/3 a cup of salt.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I dont qt..... Haha if you can qt then thats awesome! What tank would you do it in?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

I dont qt..... Haha if you can qt then thats awesome! What tank would you do it in?
Oh yeah good question :P
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get you a Blackbar Chromis. They stay real small and are a good community fish. I know Blue Zoo Aquatics has them.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #68

Thanks I'll keep it in mind
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #69

Anyone know how much salt to add if u want to raise the salinity from somewhere around 1.020 to 1.021? I just need a base
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to experiment IMO. Thats what i did because some people have differant salt, sized buckets, etc

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com