Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Live rock cost depends on the type of rock and your area. Some LFS sell live rock encrusted with coraline algae for $10/lb+. Newly cured liverock without coraline go for $2-3/lb.

A good idea is to get mostly base\dry rock for cheap and seed with a few lbs of live rock. While your tank cycles, the base/dry rock will become live.
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Live rock cost depends on the type of rock and your area. Some LFS sell live rock encrusted with coraline algae for $10/lb+. Newly cured liverock without coraline go for $2-3/lb.

A good idea is to get mostly base\dry rock for cheap and seed with a few lbs of live rock. While your tank cycles, the base/dry rock will become live.
Why do you want algae on your rocks? Guess I need to google that. Thank you also for the info on the lights.
__________________

__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Coraline is an encrusting hard algae that looks nice. It's the purple/pink stuff you see on the rocks of mature tanks. If entered into your tank, it will eventually grow over all your rock. This is the good stuff; not the nuisance algae that you want to avoid.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
The light unit I'm looking at getting has 4 T-5's. It says two are actinic? What on earth are those and what is their purpose?

And the beautiful worm brain coral I had posted a picture of earlier in this thread was still at petco today and it looked terrible. Not as vibrant and beautiful as when I saw it before. Poor thing.

Also, what is a decent price for live rock per pound?
I think aqua rick covered the actinics just remember that if you want to keep any sps or clams you will probably need more than 4 t5s. As for live rock I never pay mone than $3\lb look on craigslist and ask people who are selling tanks on there if they will sell their rock. Most times they will. If that fails I know I can get it for $5\ lb from my fish guy and 7.99\lb at my lfs. Personally would never spend that much on rock but my budget for my tank is a little tighter than most
__________________
jwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
just remember that if you want to keep any sps or clams you will probably need more than 4 t5s
6? 3 blue 3 regular? My preliminary plan is to just get the 4 t-5 light unit. I added up the prices of everything I need for the tank and it was ~$1200! (not including the fish and their food!) I know I don't have to have lights until the tank is cycled. Maybe I'll buy those last and be able to get a 6 light unit. As for now I'm in the "I pretty much know what I need and now I have to come up with the $$$$!" stage. My researching has slowed down. I'm not feverishly searching the Internet for articles and videos for 3 or 4 hours a night. I'm just looking casually and asking questions when I have them. Once I do get everything I'm going to take it very slow. My plan is to have the tank cycle, get a clown fish. If I keep it alive for a few weeks, I'll add the gold headed sleeper goby (the fish I really want!). And if that stays alive- I'll add a fire shrimp. Then I'll probably add a small school of the orange lined cardinal fish followed by more clean up crew and a feather duster worm. If I can keep all those alive for 6 months or so I will add a gsp and maybe some mushrooms to get the coral life started.

If my plan is to wait that long for coral, I could technically get a much less expensive light for the first 6 months or couldn't I?

See what you did there? You made me go on and on again! LOL! I am so jealous of all the tank pictures I see on here... It will be so rewarding when i finally get mine up and running. Maybe I should get a job at the fish store so I can get a discount. My aquarium budget is pretty darn tight as well. I bet it takes a year just to be ready to cycle!
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Coraline is an encrusting hard algae that looks nice. It's the purple/pink stuff you see on the rocks of mature tanks. If entered into your tank, it will eventually grow over all your rock. This is the good stuff; not the nuisance algae that you want to avoid.
That's what the pretty stuff is! And I didn't even have to google it. Thank you!!
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Adio800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

6? 3 blue 3 regular? My preliminary plan is to just get the 4 t-5 light unit. I added up the prices of everything I need for the tank and it was ~$1200! (not including the fish and their food!) I know I don't have to have lights until the tank is cycled. Maybe I'll buy those last and be able to get a 6 light unit. As for now I'm in the "I pretty much know what I need and now I have to come up with the $$$$!" stage. My researching has slowed down. I'm not feverishly searching the Internet for articles and videos for 3 or 4 hours a night. I'm just looking casually and asking questions when I have them. Once I do get everything I'm going to take it very slow. My plan is to have the tank cycle, get a clown fish. If I keep it alive for a few weeks, I'll add the gold headed sleeper goby (the fish I really want!). And if that stays alive- I'll add a fire shrimp. Then I'll probably add a small school of the orange lined cardinal fish followed by more clean up crew and a feather duster worm. If I can keep all those alive for 6 months or so I will add a gsp and maybe some mushrooms to get the coral life started.

If my plan is to wait that long for coral, I could technically get a much less expensive light for the first 6 months or couldn't I?

See what you did there? You made me go on and on again! LOL! I am so jealous of all the tank pictures I see on here... It will be so rewarding when i finally get mine up and running. Maybe I should get a job at the fish store so I can get a discount. My aquarium budget is pretty darn tight as well. I bet it takes a year just to be ready to cycle!
If you did but the better ligh you wouldn't have to wait 6 months for gsp if you have everything stable for a month you could get some.. Thats one of the toughest corals
__________________
Adio800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,156
I just set up my very first saltwater tank two months ago reluctant to do so because of the price investment and not quite knowing what's was doing exactly. I have two clowns a chromie and a purple dottyback that are all doing great I also have mushrooms zoas a Duncan a frogspawn a tracyphylia brain Xenia also feather duster a hermits an snails that all are thriving. The hardest part is getting started and getting things stable IMO. I believe my total cost is just around $1,300.
__________________
EriksFish315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #129
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
Wait...green star polyps one of the toughest corals? Far from the truth, it is a beginner coral that turns into a weed.

You are correct that if you want to hold off on corals then you would not require a more expensive light...but I did similar and am kicking myself as I now go about spending the money I should have ontop of what I already invested into it. If you are concerned about the money part, look into LED. I keep reading more and more about cheap LED units that have the capacity to supply enough light for SPS. In Doug's 250 wall build they are talking about them. Should be somewhere around page 98-100. I ended up going the LED route, but went with Ecotech Radions so I could set everything up with my computer rather than having timers. My first one will arrive next week.
__________________
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,156
The LEDs you are reeling to are Taotronics on eBay they go about $160 for one.
__________________

__________________
EriksFish315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Did You do With Your Tank Today? Terrance Aquaria Off-Topic 12380 Yesterday 10:34 PM
starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby. ebondaruk Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 158 07-29-2014 08:57 PM
Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build! caitlynnanne9189 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 641 07-08-2012 02:45 AM
First saltwater tank! Loukas42 Nano Reefs 35 03-01-2012 11:33 PM
new tank rreekers Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 02-29-2012 11:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.