Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live rock cost depends on the type of rock and your area. Some LFS sell live rock encrusted with coraline algae for $10/lb+. Newly cured liverock without coraline go for $2-3/lb.

A good idea is to get mostly base\dry rock for cheap and seed with a few lbs of live rock. While your tank cycles, the base/dry rock will become live.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Live rock cost depends on the type of rock and your area. Some LFS sell live rock encrusted with coraline algae for $10/lb+. Newly cured liverock without coraline go for $2-3/lb.

A good idea is to get mostly base\dry rock for cheap and seed with a few lbs of live rock. While your tank cycles, the base/dry rock will become live.
Why do you want algae on your rocks? Guess I need to google that. Thank you also for the info on the lights.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coraline is an encrusting hard algae that looks nice. It's the purple/pink stuff you see on the rocks of mature tanks. If entered into your tank, it will eventually grow over all your rock. This is the good stuff; not the nuisance algae that you want to avoid.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
The light unit I'm looking at getting has 4 T-5's. It says two are actinic? What on earth are those and what is their purpose?

And the beautiful worm brain coral I had posted a picture of earlier in this thread was still at petco today and it looked terrible. Not as vibrant and beautiful as when I saw it before. Poor thing.

Also, what is a decent price for live rock per pound?
I think aqua rick covered the actinics just remember that if you want to keep any sps or clams you will probably need more than 4 t5s. As for live rock I never pay mone than $3\lb look on craigslist and ask people who are selling tanks on there if they will sell their rock. Most times they will. If that fails I know I can get it for $5\ lb from my fish guy and 7.99\lb at my lfs. Personally would never spend that much on rock but my budget for my tank is a little tighter than most
Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
just remember that if you want to keep any sps or clams you will probably need more than 4 t5s
6? 3 blue 3 regular? My preliminary plan is to just get the 4 t-5 light unit. I added up the prices of everything I need for the tank and it was ~$1200! (not including the fish and their food!) I know I don't have to have lights until the tank is cycled. Maybe I'll buy those last and be able to get a 6 light unit. As for now I'm in the "I pretty much know what I need and now I have to come up with the $$$$!" stage. My researching has slowed down. I'm not feverishly searching the Internet for articles and videos for 3 or 4 hours a night. I'm just looking casually and asking questions when I have them. Once I do get everything I'm going to take it very slow. My plan is to have the tank cycle, get a clown fish. If I keep it alive for a few weeks, I'll add the gold headed sleeper goby (the fish I really want!). And if that stays alive- I'll add a fire shrimp. Then I'll probably add a small school of the orange lined cardinal fish followed by more clean up crew and a feather duster worm. If I can keep all those alive for 6 months or so I will add a gsp and maybe some mushrooms to get the coral life started.

If my plan is to wait that long for coral, I could technically get a much less expensive light for the first 6 months or couldn't I?

See what you did there? You made me go on and on again! LOL! I am so jealous of all the tank pictures I see on here... It will be so rewarding when i finally get mine up and running. Maybe I should get a job at the fish store so I can get a discount. My aquarium budget is pretty darn tight as well. I bet it takes a year just to be ready to cycle!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Coraline is an encrusting hard algae that looks nice. It's the purple/pink stuff you see on the rocks of mature tanks. If entered into your tank, it will eventually grow over all your rock. This is the good stuff; not the nuisance algae that you want to avoid.
That's what the pretty stuff is! And I didn't even have to google it. Thank you!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

6? 3 blue 3 regular? My preliminary plan is to just get the 4 t-5 light unit. I added up the prices of everything I need for the tank and it was ~$1200! (not including the fish and their food!) I know I don't have to have lights until the tank is cycled. Maybe I'll buy those last and be able to get a 6 light unit. As for now I'm in the "I pretty much know what I need and now I have to come up with the $$$$!" stage. My researching has slowed down. I'm not feverishly searching the Internet for articles and videos for 3 or 4 hours a night. I'm just looking casually and asking questions when I have them. Once I do get everything I'm going to take it very slow. My plan is to have the tank cycle, get a clown fish. If I keep it alive for a few weeks, I'll add the gold headed sleeper goby (the fish I really want!). And if that stays alive- I'll add a fire shrimp. Then I'll probably add a small school of the orange lined cardinal fish followed by more clean up crew and a feather duster worm. If I can keep all those alive for 6 months or so I will add a gsp and maybe some mushrooms to get the coral life started.

If my plan is to wait that long for coral, I could technically get a much less expensive light for the first 6 months or couldn't I?

See what you did there? You made me go on and on again! LOL! I am so jealous of all the tank pictures I see on here... It will be so rewarding when i finally get mine up and running. Maybe I should get a job at the fish store so I can get a discount. My aquarium budget is pretty darn tight as well. I bet it takes a year just to be ready to cycle!
If you did but the better ligh you wouldn't have to wait 6 months for gsp if you have everything stable for a month you could get some.. Thats one of the toughest corals
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just set up my very first saltwater tank two months ago reluctant to do so because of the price investment and not quite knowing what's was doing exactly. I have two clowns a chromie and a purple dottyback that are all doing great I also have mushrooms zoas a Duncan a frogspawn a tracyphylia brain Xenia also feather duster a hermits an snails that all are thriving. The hardest part is getting started and getting things stable IMO. I believe my total cost is just around $1,300.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #129
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Wait...green star polyps one of the toughest corals? Far from the truth, it is a beginner coral that turns into a weed.

You are correct that if you want to hold off on corals then you would not require a more expensive light...but I did similar and am kicking myself as I now go about spending the money I should have ontop of what I already invested into it. If you are concerned about the money part, look into LED. I keep reading more and more about cheap LED units that have the capacity to supply enough light for SPS. In Doug's 250 wall build they are talking about them. Should be somewhere around page 98-100. I ended up going the LED route, but went with Ecotech Radions so I could set everything up with my computer rather than having timers. My first one will arrive next week.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

The LEDs you are reeling to are Taotronics on eBay they go about $160 for one.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com