Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sniperhank said:
Yes, you can start a fishless cycle with that. The filter would give another place for bacteria to grow, but isn't needed. And no, you dont need a skimmer right away.

Awesome!! I made a list for my husband. Maybe he'll surprise me. I think I'm getting the tank and stand at least and that's a start!

I would get the filter also if at all possible just for the fact that it will help establish the bacteria in there also. The more bacteria the better. Just my opinion

jwalsh said:
I would get the filter also if at all possible just for the fact that it will help establish the bacteria in there also. The more bacteria the better. Just my opinion

Makes sense. But I could wait a few weeks on that if I needed to though.

I know I'm about 18 pages behind, but I'm definitely following this thread. I'm buying the pieces for my 90 and have pretty much the same questions. If I miss it, happy early birthday!!! :)

somethingsfishy said:
I know I'm about 18 pages behind, but I'm definitely following this thread. I'm buying the pieces for my 90 and have pretty much the same questions. If I miss it, happy early birthday!!! :)

It's nice that I can go back and read everything and go over the opinions people have and such. And thanks! My bday is 8 days away!

Well, I think what's going to happen is that my 55 gallon is going to be a home for a couple freshwater fish until I can get all the reef stuff I'm going to need. My husband doesn't want it to sit there being empty, so I'll put some guppies or something in it. Something I can re-home pretty easily when the time comes.

Texted the guy about the 55 gal tank and stand! I hope he still has it cause I really want to get it. If he has it I'll pick it up tomorrow (hopefully!) and once I get it in the house I'll take a picture for you guys!

Sniperhank said:
Looking good. They even threw in a small child! You might need a larger tank for it in a couple years though...

He kinda surprised me with the kid. I think I'll keep her. She already knows her alphabet and how to count backwards from 10.

Thanks! She's a doll and the tank will be awesome. You're right about the filters... I'm so glad I had prenegotiated the price down to $150 instead of $200 cause from the looks of them he should have paid me to take them! Hopefully I can clean them and they'll work.

Man, i dont know if i can count backwards from 10... anyway, some elbow grease will have all that up and running. I have some beat up stuff that looked like that and still pumping.

Ok! So it's midnight and I've been working on it for about 2.5 hours. The big filter works. The little filter kind of works. It's making bubbles... Maybe I didn't put it back together right. Anyway, all 3 heaters are clean. Here's pics of what ingot so far.

View attachment 84627

Before

View attachment 84628

After

View attachment 84629

I thought this was black... Algae is gross!

View attachment 84630

Pumping! I haven't cleaned it yet. Just cleaned the insides.

Back
Top Bottom