Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with carey just save up and get the right fixture the first time. As for the build of the odyssea the case is fairly cheaply made but who cares about a case? All I was worried about and still am is the amount of light I get to those corals. though the quality of everything might not be the best of the best it sure does the job just fine. My coral speak for themselves. Just upgrade the bulbs and you will be fine. The site that carey sent you makes good lights too I coresponded with the owner a few times. He is willing to build exactly what you want. If they don't make it for production he will make it for you custom. Same price

Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Regular

So to add to the thoughts on lighting. I started a 29 gap with 2-3 inches of sand, and 45 lbs of live rock. I dont plan on spending money for Sps so I bought a light that would limit me to LPS, shrinks, zoos, leathers, GSP. I bought it from a LFS that services one of the largest aquariums in the northeast. By aquarium I mean a 30,000gallon reef tank. He swore by a coral life t5 with only 2 x 31 watt bulbs . 1 actnic, and 1 day 10000k. I have had the light for three months, and my zoos/GSP/xenia have gone wild.

Am I restricted to simply soft corals with this lighting?

Can I buy a LED strip from home depot to increase the lighting, and if so what wattage should I strive for?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #153
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I am currently running a coralife unit. Let me tell you, it was nice until I wanted better bulbs. My unit runs 31 wat bulbs...only coralife makes them. This means no blue plus...no aquablue special...no fiji purple...no coral plus... just be careful you dont end up in this mess like i did. Check bulb size.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure what your saying. So with the coral life the only bulbs that I can out in their are coral life? Do you have the 2 bulb unit or 4 bulb?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #155
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

4 bulb. The bulbs are only made by coralife and aren't that great. They only make 4 bulbs and 2 of them are for freshwater.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I looked into that same coralife fixture when buying mine. Coralife got the great idea to make a special 29" bulb for their 30" fixture but noone makes a 29" bulb but them so you have no choice in the matter. You have to buy coralife bulbs. I thought it was a good idea because of the higher wattage also but turns out upon further research that they only make 2 different saltwater bulbs. I didn't like that sort of confinement. Also as for getting an led strip from good ole home depot you would have to look into the kelvin rating that the fixture puts out. You really don't want anything below 10000k for day lights. I would just save the extra cash and get the better fixture. If you already have it and just want to add some led strips current usa makes some that you can string together and add to what you already have. They aren't that horribly priced.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fine fine. I'll just save for a good one. I want one with two MH and 2 blue t-5's. Then I can get whatever coral I want, right?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah. Whatever you want even clams! If you are thinking about the odyssea just be sure to blow a fan in between the glass tops on the tank and the fixture to keep the water temp down. Mine went up 1 degree per hour before I did that.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
Fine fine. I'll just save for a good one. I want one with two MH and 2 blue t-5's. Then I can get whatever coral I want, right?
Trust me don't do it. You'll regret it. You'll end up spending $400 on upgraded bulbs because the color of the halide bulbs are yellow.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL! I think I'll just save up and when I'm ready to get lights I'll do more research. For now though, I have learned alot about lots of different types of lights. Thank you all for all your input on the topic.

New topic: brine shrimp- aka sea monkeys. I told my daughter we will have to raise some so we can feed the fish and corals. Do any of you raise brine shrimp or anything like that?

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com