Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jwalsh said:
Yeah that filter will work and as for the mini fuge I did try it and it seems to be working just fine. I did epoxy a piece of plastic mesh into the opening for the filter outlet just to make sure all the micro algea stayed in. But I made sure the mesh is course enough to let the pods out if they wanted to come out

Nice! I'm glad to hear its working. Good idea about the mesh screen too. :)

Yeah when you get to the stage where you get your sw tank set up. I personally would set up this mini fuge up when you start cycling. Just for good measure.

There was 29 gal saltwater setup on craigslist for $125... I really wanted to go buy it. I'm having a hard enough time keeping fish alive in my temp freshwater tank. I thought reef tanks were supposed to be hard! Anyway, I am HOPEFULLY going to make a purchase towards my saltwater dream this weekend. :). I'll let y'all know if I do!

That 29 would be a decent start to the tank you have. Don't just get it though because its a good deal. Make sure its what you really want. I have my 29 on craigslist for 400 and that's a steal I have over 1500 into between the hardware and livestock. That's not even counting the 45lbs of rock

Good luck with the jump to saltwater, I remember being so stoked when I crossed over Lol (Not with John Edwards)! If you do the used tank, and you are planning a reef, make sure they never used copper in the system. Copper will kill your reef

Ronin77 said:
Good luck with the jump to saltwater, I remember being so stoked when I crossed over Lol (Not with John Edwards)! If you do the used tank, and you are planning a reef, make sure they never used copper in the system. Copper will kill your reef

Wow. That's really good advice. I hope he didn't use copper... I'm going to have to see if I can find his email address. As for switching to salt, it'll be a little while. So far I have a tank and a filter for saltwater. I think next I will buy power heads.

Bearchumjs said:
Is there a way I can test my water to see if there is copper in it? It's full of freshwater at the moment.

Nevemind. Lol! I should google stuff before I ask questions.

Lol-No problem! I've been told it will leave white spots, haven't seen in person though. My friend runs a fish and reef business, and my 54g project was used. So she Freaked me out with that question also. Sounds like it absorbs in to everything.

Ibrahim said:
TBH, I wouldn't make it planted. You can save up the money. Maybe get a few cheap fish and baserock for decor. Then you can reuse the base in your SW tank

I've been trying to figure out if I can use base rock in a freshwater setup and then switch it over to saltwater. I'm glad I was reading back through my thread. It will be fun to create hiding spots for my fish. Maybe make a mountain for my castle decoration...

I had turned my background over to the ocean scene... I had to turn it back over. It made me want saltwater too much.

Another question- I have pool filter sand in my tank right now. When I make the switch to saltwater can I just add some aragonite sand to my pfs or should I get rid of the pfs all together? Pfs is inert and doesn't cause a shift in pH. I guess my real question is will a mix of both sands be safe for the gold headed sleeper goby and do you think it will look nice?

You can transfer over the base rock from FW to SW but just rinse it well. And id replace the PFS. It's not expensive to do and it'll save you the trouble of having to rinse it really good.

Ibrahim said:
You can transfer over the base rock from FW to SW but just rinse it well. And id replace the PFS. It's not expensive to do and it'll save you the trouble of having to rinse it really good.

Thanks! Rinse well and it will be good to go. I will start looking for some inexpensive base rock.

Replace the sand as in throw it out and use new, or replace as in don't use it even if mixed with aragonite sand? I have 50lbs of pfs sand I didn't need in my aquarium. I bought too much. Good thing it was only $10 a bag.

Bearchumjs said:
Thanks! Rinse well and it will be good to go. I will start looking for some inexpensive base rock.

Replace the sand as in throw it out and use new, or replace as in don't use it even if mixed with aragonite sand? I have 50lbs of pfs sand I didn't need in my aquarium. I bought too much. Good thing it was only $10 a bag.

Reefrocks.net has 50lbs for $85 and maybe get 10-20lbs more for only $2 a lb. Shipping is also free.
Replace as in throw it all out and replace with new PFS and no aragonite.

Back
Top Bottom