Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Addict

A good quarantine should be at least a week. The object is to ensure you're not introducing any pathogens (especially parasites) into your display that will affect your established fish. Ich is the most common and most troublesome and cannot be effectively treated in a tank with corals.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #182
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag
A good quarantine should be at least a week. The object is to ensure you're not introducing any pathogens (especially parasites) into your display that will affect your established fish. Ich is the most common and most troublesome and cannot be effectively treated in a tank with corals.
There acually is a product that you can treat ich in an entire tank with no adverse effects. Its called marine max. My lfs carries it and I have used it before it boosts the fish immune systems while killing the ich. It is both invert and coral safe. You can also use it as a preventitive for Michael and other disease as well

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #183
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Marine Max does not kill ich. It's a pro biotic immune booster. it has nothing in it to kill the parasites.
Aquarium Water Conditioners & Quality: Marine-Max Water Conditioner
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #184
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well for not killing it, it sure works well.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #185
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How do you do your qt tank?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

The simplest way is to use a tank with a power filter, no substrate, and some PVC for hiding spots and a heater. As far as cycling goes, just pull some media from the filter in your display tank or keep a sponge filter or foam block in your sump. When you need to QT your new guys, just drop the foam into the power filter. (If the new fish show signs of disease, do NOT put the foam or sponge back into your main tank or sump. Just throw it out.)

Keep new fish in quarantine for at least a week (longer is better). If they come down with something, you treat it in QT and don't make your established fish sick. You also don't have to worry about killing your inverts with meds. Also, catching a fish out of a display tank is often near impossible. The sponge / foam is to minimize cycle time on the QT by transferring some beneficial bacteria over.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #187
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The simplest way is to use a tank with a power filter, no substrate, and some PVC for hiding spots and a heater.
that makes sense and sounds pretty easy.

Do corals need to be qt'd or can they go straight in the DT?

If I had a sump I guess having a small peice of extra live rock would be good too and I could put that in the qt as well as the sponge? And an appropriate sized power filter would have enough flow for the qt tank?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm getting a little impatient and I know that setting up a 55 gallon is going to cost alot...

I know bigger is better for newbs because mistakes are more easily forgiven, but I was thinking about doing a 10 gallon with a couple clowns a snail or two and a shrimp or two. No corals. Then when I get the big tank I will already have all the stuff I need for a qt tank. So.... What do you guys think? Should I give it a try? Also, I know clowns need around 20gals min. But if I got them when they are very small I'd be able to move them to the 55 gallon when they get bigger. I really really want to get a saltwater aquarium going, and now that my 5 gal betta tank is cycled I am getting itchy feet to start something new.... :worried:
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #189
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like your idea but you would be better off with a 30 gallon for the clowns just because a fish is small doesn't mean it wouldn't enjoy a nice amount of room to swim and be fishy.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #190
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
I like your idea but you would be better off with a 30 gallon for the clowns just because a fish is small doesn't mean it wouldn't enjoy a nice amount of room to swim and be fishy.
Is there any fish suitable for a 10 gal that Isn't going to just sit on the bottom?

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com