Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh

No way can you put 3 3" fish in a 10g. I can only put 4 3" fish in my 29g maybe 1 or 2 fish that grow up to 1-2" the smaller the better. You don't want to over load the bio load in the tank. It will just cause tons of issues and you will have to change water constantly
2 clown gobies and a firefish. That's not overstocked at all. I mentioned 3" because that's the length of a firefish full grown. You obviously can't put 3 clowns in a 10g.
__________________

__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 429
Misunderstanding my mistake. I just didn't want him to think that 3 3" of any kind of fish was ok. 3 small fish is ok or 3 slim bodied fish would be ok. Like you said 2 clown gobies and a fire fish. Maybe a helfrichi lol that would be a great centerpiece fish for a small tank like that.
__________________

__________________
jwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
Misunderstanding my mistake. I just didn't want him to think that 3 3" of any kind of fish was ok. 3 small fish is ok or 3 slim bodied fish would be ok. Like you said 2 clown gobies and a fire fish. Maybe a helfrichi lol that would be a great centerpiece fish for a small tank like that.
I'm a she, if you were referring to me there. Those helfeichi are gorgeous! I don't think I want to spend that much though. Perhaps just a normal firefish. Hopefully the lady still has that tank next week when I am able to go pick it up! Thank you again for all the knowledge you guys have shared with me.

So is it a no on 3 orange lined cardinal fish? They look slim bodied in the picture I've seen... But that is the problem. It's just a picture. Liveaquaria said min tank size 10 gals, but I don't want to crowd the tank.
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

I'm a she, if you were referring to me there. Those helfeichi are gorgeous! I don't think I want to spend that much though. Perhaps just a normal firefish. Hopefully the lady still has that tank next week when I am able to go pick it up! Thank you again for all the knowledge you guys have shared with me.

So is it a no on 3 orange lined cardinal fish? They look slim bodied in the picture I've seen... But that is the problem. It's just a picture. Liveaquaria said min tank size 10 gals, but I don't want to crowd the tank.
I think you could do 3. I just think maybe it'd be better for more variety like one bottom dweller, a mid tank swimmer, and a top tank swimmer.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Someone has a 90 gal saltwater setup w/ MH's, under tank sump, sand, 75lbs of live rock, skimmers, extra bulbs etc for $450 on craigslist... Now if only they'd be interested I trading scuba gear for it... That would be awesome. But I have to ask- how much would a 90 gal setup weigh?? And how long are they typically?

We live in a manufactured home... I'd hate for it to fall through the floor! LOL!
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I would figure my 90g weighs in around 800-900 lbs full of water, sand and rock. Luckily I am on a slab foundation so I can get any tank i want. lol

How about a purple firefish? Different than a regular old firefish and not quite as pricey as the helfichi(sp?).
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

I'm a she, if you were referring to me there. Those helfeichi are gorgeous! I don't think I want to spend that much though. Perhaps just a normal firefish. Hopefully the lady still has that tank next week when I am able to go pick it up! Thank you again for all the knowledge you guys have shared with me.

So is it a no on 3 orange lined cardinal fish? They look slim bodied in the picture I've seen... But that is the problem. It's just a picture. Liveaquaria said min tank size 10 gals, but I don't want to crowd the tank.
Sorry :& 90 gal are 4ft long and I would agree with Carey probably right around 1000 lbs. As for the helfrichi I can get them for $40 whenever I want them so if anyone wants one ill pick it up from my fish Guy and ship it out. Just pay shipping. Can't beat that deal my lfs sells them for $200! I couldn't pass it up I had to get a mated pair lol
__________________
jwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh

Sorry :& 90 gal are 4ft long and I would agree with Carey probably right around 1000 lbs. As for the helfrichi I can get them for $40 whenever I want them so if anyone wants one ill pick it up from my fish Guy and ship it out. Just pay shipping. Can't beat that deal my lfs sells them for $200! I couldn't pass it up I had to get a mated pair lol
So would I need reinforced flooring?
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Marquis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
Someone has a 90 gal saltwater setup w/ MH's, under tank sump, sand, 75lbs of live rock, skimmers, extra bulbs etc for $450 on craigslist... Now if only they'd be interested I trading scuba gear for it... That would be awesome. But I have to ask- how much would a 90 gal setup weigh?? And how long are they typically?

We live in a manufactured home... I'd hate for it to fall through the floor! LOL!
id take some scuba gear for my tank
__________________
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

So would I need reinforced flooring?
Most likely I'm not sure what the load rating for the floors are in manufactured homes but floors near exterior walls will hold more because the floor has better support there. I would definatly check into it before getting into a tank of that size
__________________

__________________
jwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Did You do With Your Tank Today? Terrance Aquaria Off-Topic 12379 Today 02:43 PM
starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby. ebondaruk Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 158 07-29-2014 08:57 PM
Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build! caitlynnanne9189 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 641 07-08-2012 02:45 AM
First saltwater tank! Loukas42 Nano Reefs 35 03-01-2012 11:33 PM
new tank rreekers Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 02-29-2012 11:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.