Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #291
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
What light is it? I don't see why it couldn't be used. As long as there isn't a ton of splashing there shouldn't be an issue. My T5HO has plexiglass over the bulbs. When it comes to my radions, well I'll just be hanging them so they don't get wet and salt buildup.
Also since its going to be freshwater at first I don't need to worry about salt buildup yet. And there won't be as much flow as saltwater. I will need to get new lights when I start saltwater, but for now maybe they will be ok without the tops... I will go look at them in about an hour. I should be done with housework by then!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #292
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on an open top. If you can mount your lights high enough from the water there's no need for a cover on them.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #293
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a picture of the one light.

Any opinions on that spray paint idea? And do you still think I don't need the glass tops?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #294
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as the paint, I would think at least for freshwater it would be fine.
The light is a freshwater light, 40 watt T12 bulb ( normal size ) fluorescent. With this type of light on freshwater, you should use the covers, covers won't be as much of a hassle with fresh, and light won't give off too much heat, and it doesn't have a splash guard. I assumed that this was saltwater. This light would work for a saltwater setup, with covers, but a fish-only setup. This light will not be able to support live rock, or corals
Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #295
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
As far as the paint, I would think at least for freshwater it would be fine.
The light is a freshwater light, 40 watt T12 bulb ( normal size ) fluorescent. With this type of light on freshwater, you should use the covers, covers won't be as much of a hassle with fresh, and light won't give off too much heat, and it doesn't have a splash guard. I assumed that this was saltwater. This light would work for a saltwater setup, with covers, but a fish-only setup. This light will not be able to support live rock, or corals
Thank you! I am going to turn this into saltwater after awhile when I get everything I need for a reef tank setup. I can see how it would have been confusing. it's my first purchase towards a saltwater aquarium. Since I don't want it sitting around empty for months, I'm going to do a planted freshwater tank. Thank you for your advice on the paint. They guy took horrible care of the tank and the outside housing of the light is bad and no amount of scrubbing is going to make it look nice.

Today's shopping list is filters, ammonia, spray paint and pool filter sand. Hooray!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #296
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Have you looked at dr foster and smith's sand before you get pool filter? It is nice to have the ph buffer from agrigate sand and the price wasn't bad. I bought 60 lbs for my 55 for like 60 bucks.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #297
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Have you looked at dr foster and smith's sand before you get pool filter? It is nice to have the ph buffer from agrigate sand and the price wasn't bad. I bought 60 lbs for my 55 for like 60 bucks.
I hadn't looked yet. Alot of people over on the freshwater boards use the pool filter sand so I thought I'd just go with that. It's $12 for a 50lb bag at a local pool shop. Of course the agrigate sand would be able to be used in saltwater?

All I know is I dont want the ugly gravel that came with the tank and since I have nothing for substrate and not alot of money left for fish stuff right now, I thought the pool filter sand would be cheap and look nice. And I won't feel bad throwing it away later if I don't want to use it.

My husband wants to catch a bass and keep it in the aquarium until we get it ready for saltwater. Keeping in mind that it will grow too big but we can either eat it or release it back into the river.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #298
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Marine Reef Aquarium Substrates: Arag-Alive
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #299
Aquarium Advice Addict

For fresh, pretty much anything will work for substrate, all that really matters is aesthetics and ability to clean it in some way. But for salt you would need to change to something. More suited for marine application. There are many options as far as live sand, sizes, some colors, etc., and crushed coral. Research substrates when time provides and find what you would like .
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #300
Aquarium Advice Addict

TBH, I wouldn't make it planted. You can save up the money. Maybe get a few cheap fish and baserock for decor. Then you can reuse the base in your SW tank

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com