Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #331
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin77
Good luck with the jump to saltwater, I remember being so stoked when I crossed over Lol (Not with John Edwards)! If you do the used tank, and you are planning a reef, make sure they never used copper in the system. Copper will kill your reef
Wow. That's really good advice. I hope he didn't use copper... I'm going to have to see if I can find his email address. As for switching to salt, it'll be a little while. So far I have a tank and a filter for saltwater. I think next I will buy power heads.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #332
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a way I can test my water to see if there is copper in it? It's full of freshwater at the moment.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #333
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
Is there a way I can test my water to see if there is copper in it? It's full of freshwater at the moment.
Nevemind. Lol! I should google stuff before I ask questions.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #334
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol-No problem! I've been told it will leave white spots, haven't seen in person though. My friend runs a fish and reef business, and my 54g project was used. So she Freaked me out with that question also. Sounds like it absorbs in to everything.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #335
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim
TBH, I wouldn't make it planted. You can save up the money. Maybe get a few cheap fish and baserock for decor. Then you can reuse the base in your SW tank
I've been trying to figure out if I can use base rock in a freshwater setup and then switch it over to saltwater. I'm glad I was reading back through my thread. It will be fun to create hiding spots for my fish. Maybe make a mountain for my castle decoration...

I had turned my background over to the ocean scene... I had to turn it back over. It made me want saltwater too much.

Another question- I have pool filter sand in my tank right now. When I make the switch to saltwater can I just add some aragonite sand to my pfs or should I get rid of the pfs all together? Pfs is inert and doesn't cause a shift in pH. I guess my real question is will a mix of both sands be safe for the gold headed sleeper goby and do you think it will look nice?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #336
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can transfer over the base rock from FW to SW but just rinse it well. And id replace the PFS. It's not expensive to do and it'll save you the trouble of having to rinse it really good.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #337
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim
You can transfer over the base rock from FW to SW but just rinse it well. And id replace the PFS. It's not expensive to do and it'll save you the trouble of having to rinse it really good.
Thanks! Rinse well and it will be good to go. I will start looking for some inexpensive base rock.

Replace the sand as in throw it out and use new, or replace as in don't use it even if mixed with aragonite sand? I have 50lbs of pfs sand I didn't need in my aquarium. I bought too much. Good thing it was only $10 a bag.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #338
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

50 lbs? I seem to remember you are running a 55 right? That is probably just right in terms of sand.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #339
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

Thanks! Rinse well and it will be good to go. I will start looking for some inexpensive base rock.

Replace the sand as in throw it out and use new, or replace as in don't use it even if mixed with aragonite sand? I have 50lbs of pfs sand I didn't need in my aquarium. I bought too much. Good thing it was only $10 a bag.
Reefrocks.net has 50lbs for $85 and maybe get 10-20lbs more for only $2 a lb. Shipping is also free.
Replace as in throw it all out and replace with new PFS and no aragonite.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #340
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
50 lbs? I seem to remember you are running a 55 right? That is probably just right in terms of sand.
It's a couple inches in my tank so I think 50lbs will be good.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com