Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just have a simple hang on the back filter from petco. It's marineland biowheel. I like the idea of the biowheel for added algae and bacteria growth.

As for your picture, that is a brain coral, a worm brain to be exact. That is a LPS.

As for you wanting branching coral, those are SPS. They require some serious light. I'd look into LED units.

Sniperhank said:
I just have a simple hang on the back filter from petco. It's marineland biowheel. I like the idea of the biowheel for added algae and bacteria growth.

As for your picture, that is a brain coral, a worm brain to be exact. That is a LPS.

As for you wanting branching coral, those are SPS. They require some serious light. I'd look into LED units.

For now though, would the lights I mentioned work for the buttons, zoanthids, green star polyps and that worm brain? I'm looking to have my tank set up and running for at least 6-8 months before I venture into more corals and such. I didn't want to have bare rocks though so I was hoping the lights would accommodate the corals I have just listed.

Yes, they should. I have a 4 bulb T5HO unit over my 36 gal and have afew LPS. I have continually tried zoas, palys, and polyps...I have had very slim success... My theory is that my water is to close to pristine for them. Up until I added my symphodium, I had not had any luck with polyps. This included GSP like you want, they always died.

Sniperhank said:
Yes, they should. I have a 4 bulb T5HO unit over my 36 gal and have afew LPS. I have continually tried zoas, palys, and polyps...I have had very slim success... My theory is that my water is to close to pristine for them. Up until I added my symphodium, I had not had any luck with polyps. This included GSP like you want, they always died.

Interesting. I'm just going to have to try them out I guess!

Good luck. I'd have loved to have a rock covered in GSP, still would even though they are supposed to grow like weeds. I'm hoping my symphodium ends up being like that, it is a gorgeous polyp. Not expecting it to take off until I have my 55 up and running.

That's some sort of w brain coral. I'm not sure the light demand of it though. Live aquaria should be able to tell you. As for a filter I have an aqua clear. It works fine it has 3 stages of filtration. A course spounge carbon and bio media. I have no coplaints just get one that's a size or 2 bigger than your acual water volume

Take a look at acan coral they are sweet kid of expensive but awesome. I have half a rock covered in them. Or black sun coral are really cool as well

The sympodium pictures I looked at are gorgeous! And so are the scan corals! It's so exciting to see all the different things and know that one day I will have my own oceanic ecosystem in my living room!

Bearchumjs said:
The sympodium pictures I looked at are gorgeous! And so are the scan corals! It's so exciting to see all the different things and know that one day I will have my own oceanic ecosystem in my living room!

Edit- acan coral. iPhone auto correct... Blah.

Bearchumjs said:

That is also the part of this I love about keeping a tank. Also check out an elegance coral I just got one on Friday. It's so cool. The center glows neon green under the actinic lights. It looks great when all the way open. Also Australian Duncan's are cool and easy to care for.

So I was thinking of a school of blue/green chromis when I get my aquarium set up, but now I'm thinking about the spotted cardinalfish. It's so cute with its little polka dots! What size school should it be in and is it a good idea for a peaceful community tank?

Well, I'd say maybe 3-5? I don't even remember how large of a tank you are wanting. They are one of the possibilities I'm looking at as well for my small school for my 55.

Sniperhank said:
Well, I'd say maybe 3-5? I don't even remember how large of a tank you are wanting. They are one of the possibilities I'm looking at as well for my small school for my 55.

I'm getting a 55. I want a blue cheek goby and they require 50 or more.

What is the consensus on plants like Maiden's Hair Plant (Chlorodesmis sp.) and Red Bush Algae (Ornamental gracilaria sp.)? I was thinking it would add some color and interest. Are these good things to use in a peaceful community?

Sniperhank said:

What other schools are you thinking of? Maybe I can get some different ideas. :)

Sniperhank said:

Chromis can only be kept in odd numbers just invade that's what you decide to go with. I'm definatly adding 3 or 5 when I get my 72 bowfront on wednesday

That's what I have been told by quite a few people so I always thought it was true

iv only heard keep them in groups of 3-5 or more never anything about odd numbers so if i have 21 im fine but 20 and they'll fight??

Back
Top Bottom