Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ibrahim said:
Let it die > : D Jk I get my relatives or friends to take care of it.

What of you don't want relatives or friends in your house while your gone though? Do they make auto feeders or anything like that?

They do make autofeeders. I saw the eheim auto feeder at my LFS. They let me open it up and check it out. After inspecting it and trying to use it there, I passed on it. It got clogged the first time I tried using it. Also, the food it dispersed was not even from 1 feeding time to the next. It was obviously easier with pellets than anything else....but i just didn't trust it.

AquaRick said:
They do make autofeeders. I saw the eheim auto feeder at my LFS. They let me open it up and check it out. After inspecting it and trying to use it there, I passed on it. It got clogged the first time I tried using it. Also, the food it dispersed was not even from 1 feeding time to the next. It was obviously easier with pellets than anything else....but i just didn't trust it.

At least I know they make them. I'll have to look into them and research those too, because I know there will be times I'm going to go on trips.

mr_X said:
You can skip feeding your tank for a week and the fish will be fine.

That's good to know! I was just thinking yesterday I would hate for them to all die if I went on vacation. It would be awful to spend all that time and money for that to happen.

Bearchumjs said:
That's good to know! I was just thinking yesterday I would hate for them to all die if I went on vacation. It would be awful to spend all that time and money for that to happen.

I've skipped feeding for 5 days before. I usually feed every other day but before my vacation I fed everyday for the 3 days before

jwalsh said:
I've skipped feeding for 5 days before. I usually feed every other day but before my vacation I fed everyday for the 3 days before

Ok. That makes sense. Give them nice full tummies right before you leave!

I saw a brine shrimp hatcher that allows the shrimp to enter the aquarium on their own. Any thoughts on that? Sounded kind of neat. I thought maybe that would do since it seems like most everything eats brine shrimp or mysis shrimp.

Also- aren't sea monkeys just brine shrimp? They are so fun to own. LOL!

You know what- I've asked about what to do if you go away for a week, what I need to get started, and what are good fish and corals, but I have yet to ask what and how do you feed the fish and corals. Betta fish are easy- 2 or 3 betta pellets a day. Saltwater fish and corals... It seems like a more daunting task. Here is a list of all the fish I eventually want. I would love it if you guys with experience would tell me what you've had success feeding them and how often you feed.

(let me go get my notebook. I've got it all written down...)

FISH:
1 - Gold-head sleeper Goby (AKA blue cheek goby)

5- orange lined cardinal fish

1-2 False Percula Clown fish

1 royal gramma

1 red and white firefish.

CORALS: (I'm assuming they will feed themselves.)
Green star polyps
Zoanthids
Mushrooms
Worm brain
Sun polyps
Birds nest
Cluster duster
Giant green poly Duncan

CRABS SNAILS SHRIMP ETC...
1 fire shrimp
3 peppermint shrimp
2 feather duster worms
1 scarlet reef hermit crab
1 electric blue hermit crab
1 bumble bee snail
1 turban snail
1 banded trochus snail
1 turbo snail
2 nassarius snails
2 margarita snails

My daughter wants a lettuce sea slug-any experience with those?! Its a very pretty little animal.

Sniperhank said:
If by sun polyps you mean sun coral, or yellow tube coral. This coral is non-photosynthetic and needs to be direct fed, high water flow, and very little light.

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Tube Coral, Yellow, Tubastrea sp.

And I'd stay away from nudibranch. They die and produce toxins that will pollute your tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+724&pcatid=724

And the Bird's nest is an SPS coral. Needs lots of light and flow.

That is the yellow tube coral I want eventually. I figure it will be a long time before I get it. Same with the birds nest and sea slug. Thank you for the links. You've been really helpful and I really appreciate it. :)

I would also stay away from the lettuce sea slug. They look great but I had one and it got sucked up in a power head and got shredded lol. Its not funny acually it caused a huge mess! So if you have power heads in your tank like you should I would stay away from them imho. Sniperhawk what is dying in your tank?

As for feeding you might have to target feed your goby but I just throw a few sinking pellets in my tank and he eats them just fine. What he doesn't eat my cuc finishes. I target my duncan a few mysis with a turkey baster once a week or so just because they get bigger faster. I do that with a few of my corals at night when the sweeper tenticals are out

jwalsh said:
Ya know now that you guys point that out it does seem kind of silly

Don't feel bad. I've heard people say that about a lot of different species of schooling fish. Sometimes people have heard things enough times that they assume it must be true.

Rutrag said:
Don't feel bad. I've heard people say that about a lot of different species of schooling fish. Sometimes people have heard things enough times that they assume it must be true.

That's exactly how I felt about it. I was told it so many times by so many different people I just figured it was true. Especially since the first time I heard it was pretty early on in my saltwater days

jwalsh said:
I would also stay away from the lettuce sea slug. They look great but I had one and it got sucked up in a power head and got shredded lol. Its not funny acually it caused a huge mess! So if you have power heads in your tank like you should I would stay away from them imho. Sniperhawk what is dying in your tank?

As for feeding you might have to target feed your goby but I just throw a few sinking pellets in my tank and he eats them just fine. What he doesn't eat my cuc finishes. I target my duncan a few mysis with a turkey baster once a week or so just because they get bigger faster. I do that with a few of my corals at night when the sweeper tenticals are out

I was planning on the goby eating Copepoda and the other pods from the sand. They'll eat those right? And those will grow in the refugium right? What about the other fish I had listed?

I'm not sure if they will eat that I know they do sift the sand but I'm not exactly sure what they eat from it. Mine just likes to eat the pellet food and he feeds it to my pistol shrimp. Everything else should eat flake I would think... not sure on the jawfish though. Might want to look into that. As for pods they grow anywhere and everywhere! I had a hang on back filter before I put the sump on my 29 gal and I used to pull the basket out of the filter to change the carbon once per month. Let me tell you I would pull it out and put in in a bucket of water from the pwc I just did and there were hundreds at a time. Its kinda hard not to grow them lol

The light unit I'm looking at getting has 4 T-5's. It says two are actinic? What on earth are those and what is their purpose?

And the beautiful worm brain coral I had posted a picture of earlier in this thread was still at petco today and it looked terrible. Not as vibrant and beautiful as when I saw it before. Poor thing. :(

Also, what is a decent price for live rock per pound?

Actinic lights are referred to as blue lights sometimes. They emit light in the blue spectrum\wavelengths. These provide different type of light to corals as well as make the light pleasing to look at when mixed with Daylights.

Daylights on the other hand emit a more yellow/white light that corals still need. Running only daylights however, make your tank look bright and yellow.

When you mix actinic and daylights, you get the best of both worlds and get a bright light with blue hues that make the colors of your coral and fish pop.

Back
Top Bottom