Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #81
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I just have a simple hang on the back filter from petco. It's marineland biowheel. I like the idea of the biowheel for added algae and bacteria growth.

As for your picture, that is a brain coral, a worm brain to be exact. That is a LPS.

As for you wanting branching coral, those are SPS. They require some serious light. I'd look into LED units.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I just have a simple hang on the back filter from petco. It's marineland biowheel. I like the idea of the biowheel for added algae and bacteria growth.

As for your picture, that is a brain coral, a worm brain to be exact. That is a LPS.

As for you wanting branching coral, those are SPS. They require some serious light. I'd look into LED units.
For now though, would the lights I mentioned work for the buttons, zoanthids, green star polyps and that worm brain? I'm looking to have my tank set up and running for at least 6-8 months before I venture into more corals and such. I didn't want to have bare rocks though so I was hoping the lights would accommodate the corals I have just listed.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #83
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, they should. I have a 4 bulb T5HO unit over my 36 gal and have afew LPS. I have continually tried zoas, palys, and polyps...I have had very slim success... My theory is that my water is to close to pristine for them. Up until I added my symphodium, I had not had any luck with polyps. This included GSP like you want, they always died.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Yes, they should. I have a 4 bulb T5HO unit over my 36 gal and have afew LPS. I have continually tried zoas, palys, and polyps...I have had very slim success... My theory is that my water is to close to pristine for them. Up until I added my symphodium, I had not had any luck with polyps. This included GSP like you want, they always died.
Interesting. I'm just going to have to try them out I guess!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #85
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good luck. I'd have loved to have a rock covered in GSP, still would even though they are supposed to grow like weeds. I'm hoping my symphodium ends up being like that, it is a gorgeous polyp. Not expecting it to take off until I have my 55 up and running.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's some sort of w brain coral. I'm not sure the light demand of it though. Live aquaria should be able to tell you. As for a filter I have an aqua clear. It works fine it has 3 stages of filtration. A course spounge carbon and bio media. I have no coplaints just get one that's a size or 2 bigger than your acual water volume
Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Take a look at acan coral they are sweet kid of expensive but awesome. I have half a rock covered in them. Or black sun coral are really cool as well
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sympodium pictures I looked at are gorgeous! And so are the scan corals! It's so exciting to see all the different things and know that one day I will have my own oceanic ecosystem in my living room!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
The sympodium pictures I looked at are gorgeous! And so are the scan corals! It's so exciting to see all the different things and know that one day I will have my own oceanic ecosystem in my living room!
Edit- acan coral. iPhone auto correct... Blah.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
That is also the part of this I love about keeping a tank. Also check out an elegance coral I just got one on Friday. It's so cool. The center glows neon green under the actinic lights. It looks great when all the way open. Also Australian Duncan's are cool and easy to care for.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com