Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I have a 5gallon freshwater tank with a betta. I want a larger tank, at least 30 gallons, and I'm pretty positive I want it to be a saltwater reef.

So, since I don't have the tank and I have never had a saltwater aquarium, I am in the planning/researching stage. I am looking for ideas of what I can put in my tank when I finally get it. Here's what I want so far:

Live rock and live sand
Yellow tail damsels -5
False percula clown- 1 unless they are better kept in pairs?
Royal gramma-1
Flame angel-1 (this would not be a fish I get right away. I'd wait awhile first.)
Maybe some kind of dartfish?
I really want a Blue cheek goby but 30 gallons won't be big enough will it? Do all gobies sift the sand like the blue cheek goby?

I want a fire shrimp, feather duster worm, scarlet hermit crab...
I feel like I'd like a snail or two but I don't want them to breed and then me have 100 snails...

For corals I want
Green star polyps
Zoanthids
Mushrooms
Something for the clown to host
That really cool alien finger coral I saw at the store. I don't know what it's called. I'll take a picture next time I'm at the store.

What else could I get? I want a peaceful community with everything living in harmony. I want bright color and interest. Any info is greatly appreciated. I want to make informed decisions when I'm ready to get this set up and I want to avoid costly impulse buys.

(please excuse any typos that may be present above.)

Not trying to rain on your parade but that's way to Manu fish for a 40 gal

Flame angel isn't reef safe either. No way you'll be able to keep one, let alone 5 damsels and have a peaceful tank.

It is a good thing you are doing your research. Don't worry about fish right away, look into what all you will need for your tank setup. Once you figure out what you will need, pick out one thing you can't live without. It can be a fish, coral, crab, whatever. Once you know what you have to have, you stock the rest of your tank around that one thing's compatability.

Worry about all the physical equipment you'll need, gather it together, and begin cycling your tank. While you cycle your tank you can worry about livestock. :) This will save you alot of time, frustration, and $ in the long run.

Adio800 said:

Don't worry about the rain! It's why I'm asking questions. :) I'd rather know now then get all these fish and then have them die or kill my coral.

What size tank do you think I would need to have all of those, minus the flame angel?

I really do want the blue cheek goby...

Sniperhank said:
Flame angel isn't reef safe either. No way you'll be able to keep one, let alone 5 damsels and have a peaceful tank.

It is a good thing you are doing your research. Don't worry about fish right away, look into what all you will need for your tank setup. Once you figure out what you will need, pick out one thing you can't live without. It can be a fish, coral, crab, whatever. Once you know what you have to have, you stock the rest of your tank around that one thing's compatability.

Worry about all the physical equipment you'll need, gather it together, and begin cycling your tank. While you cycle your tank you can worry about livestock. :) This will save you alot of time, frustration, and $ in the long run.

I was thinking that if I started by having an idea of what fish I want then I could focus on what I need in means of equipment. I really want the blue cheek goby and the fire shrimp. Tank size suggestion?

Yep. That's too many fish for a 30 gallon tank.
Damsels for the most part, aren't peaceful community fish. They can be aggressive and territorial.
If you want to go 30 gallons, I would suggest a 30 gallon breeder tank. It's got a great footprint, and it's easy to light due to it's shallow dimension. A 40 breeder has thew same footprint, but it's just a tad taller- another great tank to use as a reef tank.

Shrimp are cool. if there is any crab I would not be worried about killing things, it would be the porcelain crab. very neat looking crab with 2 fan-like filter feeding appendages.
serpent starfish are entertaining.

My Damsels killed my orange shoulder tang yesterday the picked on him sense day one and stressed him out then yesterday they picked on him all day I found him laying in a corner all nipped up. Got him out but he passed a couple hours later. No more damsels for me I had to tear my tank apart to get them out :( RIP Brian you will be missed.

kjboer7 said:
My Damsels killed my orange shoulder tang yesterday the picked on him sense day one and stressed him out then yesterday they picked on him all day I found him laying in a corner all nipped up. Got him out but he passed a couple hours later. No more damsels for me I had to tear my tank apart to get them out :( RIP Brian you will be missed.

I'm so sorry to hear about that!! :(

For 10 fish? Really isn't a straight forward answer. Depends on how much live rock you have and swimming room...how active the fish is...I have ONE damsel like you want and TBH, I hate it. They are aggressive towards alot. If you want a blue cheek goby and a fire shrimp, stock the rest of your tank around it. This compatability chart will help.

Marine Compatability Chart

If you want that many fish you would probably have to jhave 125 gal tank. I have a 29 gal and have 2 occy clowns a helfrichi fire fish yellow watchman goby and a Pakistani butterfly fish. And my tank is at its limit. Check out that helfrichi fire fish though they are awesome and pretty small great for a smaller tank

I was reading that the yellow tail damsels were peaceful. More peaceful than any of the other damsels. Is that not true? I was thinking they might be a little nippy but not to the point that they they would kill another fish. I can look into a different species if they aren't going to fit in.

Looking up that crab tonight!

Can a blue cheek goby live in a 30 gallon or does it need more space? That's the fish I really want! If I have to get a bigger aquarium I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a 55.

Sniperhank said:
For 10 fish? Really isn't a straight forward answer. Depends on how much live rock you have and swimming room...how active the fish is...I have ONE damsel like you want and TBH, I hate it. They are aggressive towards alot. If you want a blue cheek goby and a fire shrimp, stock the rest of your tank around it. This compatability chart will help.

Marine Compatability Chart

What's TBH?

I'm thinking those damsels are going to be crossed off my list...

Thank you for the chart. I'm going to go look at it right now.

TBH = to be honest

I personally hate damsels. They're demon spawn for sure. Such nasty and mean critters. I'd probably only have them in a predator tank.

OMG!!! I hate the yellow tailed ones!! They're devils; literally one of the most aggressive damsels. I had a school of 3 of Sgt Major damsels and those weren't aggressive at all. For tank size I'd go with a 40g breeder and 6-7 small 1-3" fish. Look into chromis, they're similar to damsels but prettier and non aggressive to other fish

AquaRick said:
TBH = to be honest

I personally hate damsels. They're demon spawn for sure. Such nasty and mean critters. I'd probably only have them in a predator tank.

Lol! Demon spawn?!

I'm crossing them off the list.

What do these abbreviations stand for? I know pH, but what are the others?

Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025

Bearchumjs said:
What do these abbreviations stand for? I know pH, but what are the others?

Water Conditions: 72-78° Fahrenheit, carbonate hardness 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, salt gravity 1.020-1.025

I edited your post :)

Ok- so the blue cheek goby (Valenciennea strigata) has a 50 gal minimum. So, how's this list now. Is it still too many fish for a 55 gallon tank?

1- blue cheek goby
1- fire shrimp
1- false percula clown
1- royal gramma
5- blue/green chromis
1 scarlet reef hermit crab
A snail or two maybe.

Would I be able to add more to that list or would I be reaching my limit?

Thank you guys so much for your guidance!! It is much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom