Planning a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
Although it will be a few years before I create a saltwater aquarium, I wouldn't mind planning some things out now.

But exactly how do I do that? :huh:
I have been looking at this website for quite some time. (liveaquaria.com) And really the only conclusion I have is that I want some clownfish! I want to try and create an easy tank, colorful if possible, that is around 55 gallons (as I've read 55 is good for beginners; the bigger, the more manageable the water is) to maybe 75.

Easy fish are what I am looking for, obviously, but I realize they must have certain things in common, right? They must be somewhat compatible? I know next to nothing, but I'm assuming they must all need similar water conditions?

So if I'm starting with clown fish...where would I branch off from there? Why type of plants/rocks/etc. should I be looking for? Any other thoughts?

I can answer a few question. :)

If given a choice I would def go with a 75g over a 55g. The width is so much better for rockscaping and makes a huge difference in my opinion.

Clownfish go with most any peaceful fish so you have a zillion choices there. You wouldnt for exapmle put an eel or a lionfish in with clowns and gobies but you could put angle fish, basslets, clowns, chromis and so many others!

Just keep in mind the mature size of the fish you like, just cause he's 3 inches when you buy him doesn't mean he wont turn into a 1 footer! LOL

Thanks.
I see on this site that multiple clownfish can co-exist with each other but with caution...is that true, and what would that mean? What is the most clownfish you'd suggest having together in a tank?

Clownfish of the same species get along for the most part, each fish is different so no guarantees. What happens with multiple clowns usually is the most dominant becomes female, next in line male, while the rest stay juvenile. Its also supposed to help if you add them all at once, but depending on how many that is could be beyond how many you should add at once.

Say I wanted a lot, what would be a reasonable amount to get?

It is not recommended to get more than 2 per tank. I have a 125g and my two pairs after weeks of getting along suddenly didnt and had to be separated.

Two is good, trust me. I only have one pair left after two died yesterday and today. Just pick very carefully. if you want say b&w's wait for them dont just get the first clowns that come along.

Just some experience from someone who has been there done that

The difference in price between variants is astonishing too, my pair of false clowns cost me £25 at my lfs (one of the best in the UK that has won multiple awards) yet i was in there yesterday buying a pulsating xenia frag and the chap that runs it was making a sale on a pair of snowflake clowns at £150. So 600% more, the guy that was buying seemed to think he was getting a bargain too!

Okay so two clowns. Male and female, or does the sex matter?
Just out of your preferance, and my curiosity, what kind of beginner tank would you put together? Which specific fish?

If you get two juveniles they will have no sex. They will develop sexuality as they mature, the one that is most dominant turns into a female and the other becomes a male.

The breeds def do matter! There are some clowns that are more aggressive and some that are more territorial so just do your research into them before jumping in. Saltwater takes a certain level of persistance that is necessary to own a stable tank....just ask carey or another saltie vet. Also keep in mind that the more colorful and fancy desgins of fish, are more than ikely a lil harder to keep.

In terms of the snowflake clowns being sold for 150, I'm pretty sure that the snowflake breed was engineered and very limited in terms of availablity, I know ora breeds them and wholesales them to lfs but that doesn't mean the guy buying them was getting an ora snowflake pair

Last edited:
Ocellaris are a very "gentle" clownfish, meaning they are peaceful and they look amazing, but in my opinion, they are prob one of the most common clowns sold, google search ora clownfish and take a look at their website, it has prob 15-20 different types of clowns, along with pictures:) there's some vast differences

Yeah, and most of those clownfish are price wise obscene. i love em and all but $600 and up a pair? Nope, not me sorry.

Thats why I initially picked my first set as b&w's, something different. Then I picked the pair of misbar oscellaris cause they were the same but "differet". LOL

On a sadder note, I will eventually have to replace my b&w's as they both just died. :-(
Not sure what I'm gonna pick next, I alwasy wanted snowflake clowns. But we'll see.

They were listed under beginner on that website and, well, I'm a beginner, so....
What did your first saltwater tank have in it?

Haha she's asking what fish you had in your firsst saltie carey. Made me chuckle.I'm currently on my first salt tank and loving it:)

My dream clowns are snowflakes but they are $90 each at my lfs. I have been eyeing them since they came in in March. He still hasnt sold them. They have grown up kinda ugly so I'm pretty glad i didnt get them. Plus they would have died if they were in my 125g.

I'm now looking at black ice clowns and naked clowns. Not sure what I'm gonna end up with. I still have my orange oscellaris pair in my cube but I want something different! LOL

Back
Top Bottom