Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Planning for SW

well I got my 75 gallon FW up and running. Still waiting for the full cycle. in the mean time i have been looking at salt water. Will be doing an algae scrubber soon

My current plans are

100+ gallons (125 or 150) bow-front is if can find one!!

Sump system (40 ish gallons) with 2 allege scrubbers. or 1 scubber with partial wet/dry filter (not to small still need some in SW for the corals right?)

will still have some mech filtration to keep the algee from escaping if it grows fast

lighting

Thats about All I have so far I want a nice reef and some fish with it. CUC obviously.

want to just jump to the larger tank first off because i know i'll want to up grade if started with 75 or 90

Old 03-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I would upgrade to a 50g+ sump just based on space and a single algae scrubber would do the trick. No point in having wet/dry with an algae scrubber. Lighting will depend on what you want to keep.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah I'm using my FW tank as an experiment for the Scubber LOL
Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo V6 Camaro View Post

will still have some mech filtration to keep the algee from escaping if it grows fast
You wont need a mech filter. the idea of a scrubber is to not trap any food, which is what a mech filter will do. This way when you put food in it will circulate in the tank until it is eaten and what ever isnt eaten is turned into ammonia and then is eaten by the algae.

Also the algea should only grow on your scrubber and should be cleaned about every week so you shouldnt be worried about it falling off (thats why you use a mesh)

this site has some really good info on scrubbers if you have not seen it already

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ALGAE SCRUBBER FAQ (12/17/09)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com