Planning for the FUTURE, sumpless and skimmerless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
So since starting i have fell in love with the hobby been in it for about 4 months now and I keep learning every day. So ONE DAY i want to upgrade and was wondering what do you think is a good size if i want to go sumpless and skimmerless. Im thinking of 30-40 gallon tank. I have done so much reading on what works and what doesnt. So i plan on having one or 2 hang on the back filtration units, not sure on what im going to put in them yet with this setup and then being RELIGIOUS with my water changes. Lets say 30 gallon tank 6 gallons a week 20% doing PWC monday, wednesday, and friday 2 gallons each day. Also with corals im going to stick with LPS corals trying not to use supplements as they will get all them from a good salt mix and the proper feeding. Also not over stocking my tank as well. Let me know what you guys think and any input and advice would help. I really want to plan this out to make it a great tank but just trying to go with a more simple setup.

:thanks:

Circulation and lighting will be your keys to success. I'd go with a 4 bulb T5HO light or LEDs and a couple of circulation pumps in the 400+ gph range. If you are set on HOB filters, I'd recommend Aquaclears for their versatility of media.

As far as tank size, you'll pretty much always find bigger is better. Everything fills up with livestock faster than you thought it would.

Search Craigslist like a vulture for someone breaking down a tank for live rock and use pool filter sand to save cash. You can probably pick up a light there as well. Lot's of people seem to be moving from T5s to LEDs.

If not a HOB filter what else would you recommend

I'd honestly look at doing a good HOB skimmer if a sump is not an option. Reef Octopus I think makes a good one.

One thing I'm looking at is a CPR aquafuge. It is a HOB model and comes in 3 sizes. This should help with my nitrates as it can come with a light.

Back
Top Bottom