Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhilly25 View Post
So I'll have to run piping to the overflows?
I did cause I rather the hard plumbing but others us that washing machine tubing or the clear tubing that HD carry.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post

I did cause I rather the hard plumbing but others us that washing machine tubing or the clear tubing that HD carry.
Is there a place where I can get my equipment for a better price?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just set up a 210 with a sump. You will need a pump to move water from the sump to the tank. You will need at least a couple of good power heads. I used two vortech mp40s. They are pricey but awesome powerheads. You will need a heater, and skimmer. I have a reef octopus 3000 sss. This skimmer is amazing! This is the first large tank I have that has a sump. One thing that shocked me was the amount of evaporation. I have to use about 2 gallons of ro di water to top it off from evaporation each day. So be prepared . Also you will need good lights if you plan on having corals. And research tons! I did my own pumbing under the tank so make sure you understand all of that before you start! Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
I just set up a 210 with a sump. You will need a pump to move water from the sump to the tank. You will need at least a couple of good power heads. I used two vortech mp40s. They are pricey but awesome powerheads. You will need a heater, and skimmer. I have a reef octopus 3000 sss. This skimmer is amazing! This is the first large tank I have that has a sump. One thing that shocked me was the amount of evaporation. I have to use about 2 gallons of ro di water to top it off from evaporation each day. So be prepared . Also you will need good lights if you plan on having corals. And research tons! I did my own pumbing under the tank so make sure you understand all of that before you start! Good luck
You seem like just the person I need. Do I need to purchase all of this retail?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Probably so. But what I would do is find what you want and then ask opinions on here about the equipment. Just a lesson I have learned is that I would buy something because it was cheaper and then down the road I would have to buy a better one because it didnt work very good. So ask opinions before you buy equipment. (That will save you money in the long run ) if you dont have experience I would start of with a fish only with live rock and then eventually you can move up to corals if you want. Start off slow and learn about everything. By the way, it is addicting
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhilly25 View Post

Is there a place where I can get my equipment for a better price?
The tubing is cheap at my local HD. But I used PVC HD has at good price. The two mp40 that he's talking bout is not for the sump it's for the DT. For that size tank I would do a sump/refugium in there you can put heater,temp probe,ph probe and you already know that your return pump goes in on of the return. Also I would split the line that feeds the sump like you see in my pic. So you can have control of the flow going to the refugium.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bulk reef supply usually has comparable prices. You can also sign up for their "rewards" program. For every dollar you spend, you get a point that you can "cash in" towards a purchase. Bulk reef supply has really good "how to" videos to help set up a tank. Also Foster and Smith have good prices. I buy my salt from them and if you spend at least $50 you get free shipping.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
Bulk reef supply usually has comparable prices. You can also sign up for their "rewards" program. For every dollar you spend, you get a point that you can "cash in" towards a purchase. Bulk reef supply has really good "how to" videos to help set up a tank. Also Foster and Smith have good prices. I buy my salt from them and if you spend at least $50 you get free shipping.
So you used all hard PVC pipe?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used all PVC it will be cheaper for you going to HD for those parts than getting them from BRS or f&s.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes i used PVC that I got at Lowes and Home Depot.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com