Planning my 210 gallon reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Piece by piece! I know I can do it. So, I'll start the questions small. Should I use distilled water in the tank? How exactly is the salt mixed and how much would I need? Can I put my heaters in the sump? Any advice on getting started?

Buy a R.O.D.I. unit and make your own water. Yes, you can put heaters in the sump, and the salt is mixed by you. I use a large pump in the bottom of my mixing barrel, and let it mix overnight. I use a refractometer to tell me when I've put the right amount of salt in.

Buy a R.O.D.I. unit and make your own water. Yes, you can put heaters in the sump, and the salt is mixed by you. I use a large pump in the bottom of my mixing barrel, and let it mix overnight. I use a refractometer to tell me when I've put the right amount of salt in.

I'm not famiar with the unit you're talking about. What kind of water does it put out?

Perfectly clean water, with zero T.D.S.
It's a must have, for a reef tank IMO.
search "reverse osmosis" on ebay, or look to the sponsors. Bulk Reef Supply sells them.

Perfectly clean water, with zero T.D.S.
It's a must have, for a reef tank IMO.
search "reverse osmosis" on ebay, or look to the sponsors. Bulk Reef Supply sells them.

Maybe I should look for a used one somewhere?

That a great one...I have that one. Filters are cheap

Di resin (on top filter) is old needs to be replaced. Should be golden/green color. Brown means its no longer cleaning like it should

Yes its cheap. Most online stores sell them. Get the refill bag which is around $18 for 3 refills.

Okay, I got my hands on a RD - 102 system. Now I'll be getting the water I need. Once I get tank and stand, I need to get sump, power filters, and etc. Then live sand. I was going to do a mix of live and non live rock.

How does it hook up? Is it hard? Where does my water come out?

I should come with two adapters. One that wraps around the drain pipe under a sink and the other on the cold water supply line. Water comes out line from the filter on top of the rodi unit.

I should come with two adapters. One that wraps around the drain pipe under a sink and the other on the cold water supply line. Water comes out line from the filter on top of the rodi unit.

So, I'll need to catch it in something?

Okay, I got my hands on a RD - 102 system. Now I'll be getting the water I need. Once I get tank and stand, I need to get sump, power filters, and etc. Then live sand. I was going to do a mix of live and non live rock.

If you are going with a sump you don't need a filter get a sump with a refugium. What do you mean by non live rock?

If you are going with a sump you don't need a filter get a sump with a refugium. What do you mean by non live rock?

I meant powerheads for currents, and non live rock is just rock without BB. You grow some on there.

Back
Top Bottom